Their Truth

Radley

I should have been embarrassed, sitting on Alaric's lap on the sofa in one of the sitting rooms, while his mother was seated right there, but I just didn't have the energy.

I felt ... weak. Confused. Tired.

Alaric's lips brushed over my hair, and I felt his hand rub along the back of my neck, his other arm wrapped around my waist, holding me in place. His solid body was warm, calming. His heart beat was strong enough for me to feel it through the fabric of the t-shirt I was wearing. It was one of his shirts. Too big for me. But his scent on the shirt, and on him, surrounded me, comforted me.

And I needed all the comfort I could get. My eyes felt heavy as I tried to focus on anything in the room. Everything seemed a little ... blurry.

What's going on?

Shivering, I raised the cup of hot sweet tea to my lips, taking a sip before resting the cup on my knee, not trusting myself to hold on to it too much. Alaric's lips brushed through my hair once more and Blevine smiled at me from the opposite sofa.

What's happening to me?

That same question had rolled around and around in my mind, ever since I'd woken up in pain this morning.

And, just as quickly as it had locked me in place, it had stopped. But I didn't feel any better. Instead I had a funny feeling ... like my mind was full, almost as if my skull was housing another brain, another mind.

It didn't make sense.

Something's wrong with me.

Alaric pulled me closer to him, shifting my body so I was pulled flush against his chest. I squeezed my eyes shut and rested my head on his shoulder, feeling my body shiver.

"How do you feel now, Radley?" Blevine's voice was soft, calm.

"I'm okay," I croaked, my mind still reeling. Well, I wasn't in pain, if that was what she was asking.

"Do you know what happened to you?"

I shook my head, tears stinging my eyes. I gripped on to the cup in my hands, feeling the warmth of the tea heat my fingers. The steady and strong thump of Alaric's heart filled my ears as I nuzzled his neck, burying my nose in the crook between his shoulder and neck. His scent was stronger here and I breathed it in, realising just how much I loved his smell.

Pretty sure I was becoming addicted. That wasn't a bad thing, though ... was it? I mean, it wasn't like I was addicted to drugs or anything. Alaric was a person.

"Radley." Blevine's soft voice floated to my ears. "We need to talk."

Alaric shifted so that I was sitting up, my head lifted. I opened my eyes a little. It was getting difficult to keep my eyes open.

My gaze fell on my cup and I took another sip of the warm tea, feeling it warm my body. There seemed to be ... something ... in my head, almost like the beginning of a headache, and I squinted, my vision hazy once more.

"What are you feeling, Radley?" Alaric's deep voice was in my ear and I leaned my head against his, feeling my eyelids become heavy again.

"It's kind of like a headache," I muttered. "Like it's ... moving around in my head. Like my head is full and something else is trying to squeeze in there, too."

I felt Alaric's lips brush against my temple. "It's going to be okay," he whispered.

Was it? Was it really?