Her Kind

Radley

Once again, I found myself sitting on a sofa next to Alaric, drinking hot sweet tea.

This was becoming a bit of a habit.

The movement in my head was constant, and I swore if I concentrated too much, I could see a wolf pacing up and down in my mind ... almost like it was a constant part of my head.

I scooted closer to Alaric and leaned into his side. There was just something soothing about him, being near him.

And he had a wolf ... He was used to feeling like this? How did he cope? I had only been feeling like it since this morning and I felt like I was going mad.

Maybe I was, after all.

As crazy as my mother.

Claudia sat to my right, occasionally reaching over to brush a hand through my hair, the smile never leaving her face.

"So you see now, Dad." Alaric's voice held an icy tone. "You see now that Radley isn't a threat to the pack. His wolf isn't a rogue. He's not rabid." His arm squeezed tighter around my waist. "He's just like one of us. A normal werewolf."

Conri was pacing along the other side of the room, his hands on his hips. He glanced over at me, a worried look on his face.

"Yes, I know.," he muttered. "And I'm sorry, Radley. I'm sorry that you had to ... go through what you did. I ... never meant for you to suffer." He lowered his head a little. "Fuck," he muttered.

He did look sorry. His chest and shoulders, once tall, puffed out and proud, were now almost caved in ... hunched over. My chest squeezed once more and I snuggled a little more into Alaric's side.

"I still don't understand." Enzo sat forward in his chair. He looked over at Claudia, his dark eyes wide. "What the hell was that? What you did? It looked like ..." Enzo spread his hands. "Well, I don't fucking know."

I looked over at Claudia, feeling a frown on my face.

"What's Enzo talking about?" I asked.

She swallowed, pulling her hand back into her lap. She took a sip of tea, before placing the cup on the coffee table in front of her and taking a deep breath. I could feel my teeth clench.

She was stalling.

She always did this when she really didn't want to answer a question.

"Tell him, Claudia," Conri ordered, the authority in his voice enough to draw a whimper from both Leo and Enzo. I looked over to them, a little confused as to why they were bowing their heads. I knew everyone in town liked to do what Conri said but ....

He was the Alpha. That's what Alaric had called him.

Alpha.

That meant he ... ruled over everyone.

Including me?

Unsure on how I was feeling knowing that, I pushed the thought aside and concentrated on Claudia.

Claudia heaved another sigh and sank into the cushions. Her eyes landed on me, and softened.

"I've always wanted what was best for you, Radley. No matter what you hear, what you think, what anyone else tells you ... I have only ever wanted to protect you." She leaned over and squeezed my knee. "I love you as if you were my own child."

She sighed and pulled her hand back into her lap. I took a sip of tea, aware of everyone holding their breath. I felt Alaric brush his lips over my hair and I leaned a little more into him, the warmth of his body soothing.