His Scent

Alaric

There it was again.

That delicious smell.

Rosewood and citrus.

I breathed it in, raising my nose to the air, sniffing, searching, trying to catch the direction it came from.

From behind me?

I spun around, but didn't see anyone who resembled ... wait ... hang on. Was that him? Right there? Walking around the corner?

A lone shadow, disappearing around the side of the building next to the coffee shop ...

"Come on, man," Enzo whined, pulling my attention away from the retreating figure and back to him, standing next to me. "He's not here." He stomped his feet on the ground, shoving his hands in his pockets, trying to warm himself up.

I growled at him and he stopped moving, whimpering slightly, his head bending a little in submission. Frowning, I shifted my gaze back to where I thought I saw the guy I was searching for ... but he was gone.

It probably wasn't him to begin with.

Or was it?

Only one way to find out.

Marching along the street, not bothering to see if Enzo was following me, I rushed to the corner where I thought I saw him turn ... but the narrow walkway was empty. Raising my nose to the air again, I took a deep breath. I could smell his scent ... faint, but it was there.

So ... had he been here?

Had it really been him?

"What is it?" Enzo stood next to me and peered around the corner, a soft breeze teasing his blonde hair, making it stick up on top. He gazed at me as his nose twitched, catching the scent we had been searching for. "Was he here?"

Sighing, I ran a hand down my face and shrugged. "I don't know. I think so." Shaking my head, I stared down the empty narrow walkway, the buildings on either side close together, allowing for only one person to walk along at a time. "I can't seem to help it, Enzo. Looking for him, I mean. My wolf doesn't want to settle down. I think he just wants to see him."

"Have you told your wolf that it's cold out here?" Enzo cast me a quick glance before averting his dark eyes to the floor, expecting me to growl back at him for his comment.

"Hey, I know it's cold, okay?" I muttered and ran a hand through my hair, tugging on the strands a little. "But it's like ... he's all I can think about. I can't explain it, really." I shrugged again.

"I get it." Enzo shoved his hands into the pockets of his jeans. "This guy ... he's important to you. But ...." He leaned in close, casting a quick glance around us before peering back at me. "Are you sure it's him? Really sure?"

The seriousness of his gaze caused me to frown. Of course I was sure. Why wouldn't I be? Would I really be searching the streets if I wasn't sure?

"Because you know who he is, right? Who he's related to?" Enzo placed a hand on my shoulder and squeezed. "I mean, what are you gonna to do when you catch up with him?"

Heaving a sigh, I ran a hand through my hair. "I don't know. I just ... want to make sure it is him, you know? Make absolutely sure he's the one before I ..." Tears pricked the back of my eyes and I ducked my head, rubbing my eyes, forcing back the sudden tears.

Pressure squeezed my chest and I could feel my wolf shift around, clearly unhappy at what I was suggesting.

"Before you what? Reject him?" Enzo dropped his hand. "You know that's what your dad will want you to do." He blew on his hands before shoving them back into his coat.