Ark 1, Chapter 20: Breathe.

Themes of: Neglect/Abuse
(Poor Nickel)

GAY. A LOT OF GAY.

———

'Why is he... So pretty...? I never had these feelings before...'

'The way he looks at me... His gentle touch... The way his breath feels warm against my chest... it's more comforting than the warmth of my blankets...'

The two boy's faces were pressed against each other. Their cheeks turning a bright red as Nickel nuzzled his cheek into Balloon's. They were so close together that Balloon couldn't tell if this warmth was coming from his heart or Nickel's.

He didn't care.

He didn't understand either.

How could one gain feelings for another so quickly?

Balloon didn't even know he could feel this way until this morning. But it felt so good... It was addicting. Like a drug. His senses were overwhelmed with this passionate feeling.

The way the other boy felt in his arms, the metal and soft skin against his as he cuddled with him... The way he looked, the muted colours of his eyes were so inviting, he could get lost in an instant. The way his heartbeat and the gentle tones Nickel used when he spoke to him.

He could listen to him talk like that for hours without getting bored of it.

He felt his mind raise the question: If you had to spend an eternity with a single person would it be him?

He didn't know how to answer that question.

It was only then he realized how alike they truly were.

He remembered the book he had slid under his pillow. The memories of flipping through Nickel's diary as curiosity filled his head. He frowned at the thought of the entries that had been written in that book.

He was shocked by how much tragedy the coin had been through. His was built up, he'd been acting so harsh to protect himself from being hurt by those close to him. The opposite of his own defences. He tried to protect himself against people he didn't know.

How could his own family treat him with such hatred? How could one hurt their own child in such a way?! It was horrifically disgusting... Nickel didn't deserve the treatment that he had gotten by his own family. The ones he trusted to take care of him. To love him...

That's why they were alike.

They had been hurt.

They had a hard time trusting.

They... Were deprived of the love that they so rightfully deserved.

Balloon knew that.

Nickel stared into Balloon's eyes. He saw the bright unnatural green. It was truly like an emerald. The way his eyes sparkled made his heart flutter. Nickel could barely breathe. This feeling was incredibly addicting, he wanted to be closer to Balloon... He wanted to indulge in his warmth. To hug him and never let go.