Ark 2, Chapter 44: Heart Stopping.

TW: DEATH, TERMINAL ILLNESS, GUNS.

———

Lightbulb sat upon the bed next to Paintbrush and held herself close to them. She was worried about them, their condition was worsening fast, and they were already death's door. Her face was still soaked with her tears as she clung onto her dear friend.

Paintbrush was still covered in a cold sweat, their breathing unsteady, weak, and strained. They were barely grasping onto life. And not even conscious at this point. Their fever like a burning inferno. If Fan didn't come soon, they'd hold die. And soon.

Lightbulb tried to soothe them with calming words and her presence. But comfort can't cure illness.

She stared ahead of her at the door sadly. Hoping Fan would comply as promised. And everything would be okay again. Or at least... As okay as things could be. Even if it wasn't by much, they still had to try.

She didn't know if she could live wither herself or her mistakes, if Paintbrush died.

The slow rise and fall of their chest was what kept Lightbulb sane in this moment. She leaned her head on their chest silently and let tears fall down her face as she sniffles and sobbed. Praying for Paintbrush's well being.

The room was silent except for sobs and breathing. Paintbrush's slow, strained breathing...

Breath in... and Out...

A breath in, and a breath out.

A breath in....

And... A breath... Out........

...

...

...

Silence.

Lightbulb, startled by their sudden lack of movement, and the deafening silence from the lack of their breathing, began to panic. She jumped up and sat over top of them looking down at them from their side.

"P—Painty...? H-hey! You okay...?! Lightbulb shook them slightly, panic prominent in her voice.

Paintbrush gave no response, their body was entirely limp and still. The stillness in the air combined with their own only caused Lightbulb's panic to sink in faster as the situation hit her like a rock.

She shook them more harshly. "PAINTY! P-PAINTY PLEASE— PLEASE BREATHE!" She screamed clutching their sides trying to beg and pray for them to awake. Knowing she had no magic wand to make her wish come true.

This wasn't a fairy tale after all.

Lightbulb was balling her eyes out shaking her head in disbelief this was actually happening. Her light flickering due to her distress, and her wings curled up shaking like the rest of her.

She swiftly grabbed their wrist and checked for a pulse, but nothing. It was just... empty.

In fact, their body seemed to lack a soul in this moment. Or... Nearly. Like it was leaving them. And the point of no return was moments away...