Ark 2, Chapter 48: Goodnight.

"As the sun sets, the dust surely follows"

"But in a new dawn we find new hardships to overcome."

"Thy journey is only just beginning..."

———

"N-NO!!! NO LET GO!!! HELP ME! S-SOMEONE PLEASE!"

"There is no running now. You will do nicely..."

"P-PLEASE! NO—NONO! IT HURTS— STOP!!!"

"G o o d n i g h t"

———

The day was like any other. Though in a new place, the mansion was as lively as the hotel was before it was raided. People were talking, children laughing. People took turns watching over Fan. Though, he didn't cause much trouble.

Fan mostly just... Sat in the corner.

Muttering things to himself...

It was sad.

Test Tube came down a few times to check on him. Anyone who was watching over Fan at the time was either making sassy remarks, or didn't trust him. At least, not yet. Fan seemed hurt by this. Test Tube felt bad, maybe he could have some time outside of this wine cellar. He deserved it after helping Paintbrush... She believed something in him changed. He felt what betrayal was like and had a change of heart.

So when it was time to switch, she walked over to Fan instead of calling down somebody new.

"If you promise not to hurt anyone... You can come sleep on the couch in my room, alright?" She offered, holding out a hand.

Fan, of course, perked up and took her hand in an instant. It seemed his eyes were sparkling in that moment.

Test Tube smiled at his glee. And then walked him upstairs. OJ, who was near the door to the basement glanced over at her, and his eyes narrowed at the sight of Fan.

"Test Tube, what are you doing?!" OJ growled, walking over to her with skepticism and suspicion.

"I'm letting him have a chance." Test Tube replied. "I... Really want to trust Fan... I do. And for that, we need baby steps. So I'll watch him tonight, and he can sleep on the couch in my room." Test Tube replied with certainty. Looking OJ in the eye.

OJ looked back with doubt, but sighed. "Fine... If... If you need me, I'll be with Paper." OJ huffed and turned away. "Please be careful."

Test Tube smiled and gave a slight nod, then walked Fan upstairs to her room. She directed him inside, and then handed him a blanket. "There's already decorative pillows on the couch." She pointed at the plethora of fancy pillows.

Fan looked at the couch and then back at her. "Thanks... Test Tube." He said with a kind look on his face, and then sat down on the couch.