Ark 2, Chapter 39: PANIC.

TW: DEATH, FOREST FIRE, NEEDLES.

———

The group was walking through the forest. The all ducked every time they heard a helicopter overhead. The jumped at every crunch of leaves, or rustle in the bushes. The leaves crinkled beneath their feet. Luckily, the tree cover was pretty thick, so Baxter, and the rest of the group wasn't seen by anyone searching overhead.

They continued, going deeper into the forest. Until they heard shouting and saw lights in the distance. Everyone crowded into bushes, and hid, Baxter having to hide in a large tree. The soldiers searched the area, scouring the forest for anyone who could potentially have powers.

That is until Mephone got a notification, telling him he needed to revive Microphone. The ping caught the attention of the soldiers. And they started running towards them.

"Oh— OH NO..." screamed Paper as he ducked to near OJ.

"How did they even know to come here so fast...?!" OJ muttered as they turned to run.

Floory looked around through the jar backpack. "Nickel... he's killing the grass beneath him." Floory warned. And he was right too, his footsteps were leaving behind a trail of dead grass and plants.

Nickel flinched at this revelation.

Everyone began to run, gunshots rang out behind them. Marshmallow directed everyone towards the edge of the forest. The mansion wasn't too far from here. Silver slowed the soldiers down by blasting a few trees with lightning. The trees exploded in sparks and burnt ash as they collapsed and burned from the heat of the electricity. They collapsed and started small fires which blocked the soldiers path as they finally reach the hill which the mansion was on.

It didn't take long for everyone to rush inside, Baxter barely squeezed through the front doors. And had to squeeze himself between the two stair ways. Most of everyone collapsed due to their exhaustion as they reached the deans hall of the mansion, especially Knife and Pickle who had all of the belongings Taco and Microphone had passed on to them.

Marshmallow dusted herself off before beginning to clean up Apple and Bow's many toys. "You all can pick empty rooms... There's a lot, and if you can't find a bedroom, I'll grab one of the spare mattresses in the basement." She explained.

Many of them nodded and began to explore and pick out rooms.

OJ unwrapped his bandages and let his wings spread out. They fluttered slightly and stretched out, his back was beginning to hurt a bit again.

Paper seemed worried and was looking over at Nickel, still carefully cupping Balloon in his glowing claws. He was very concerned about both of their safety. He felt OJ put a hand on his shoulder, and he leaned on OJ. Being careful not to touch OJ's wings.

"Everything will be okay..." OJ reassured as he gave Paper a look of reassurance.

Paper of course held back tears. "I don't want any of them to get hurt... It's not fair they have to live their lives in fear OJ!" Paper cried.

OJ frowned, and held Paper close. "We will protect them don't worry, okay...?" OJ grabbed onto Paper's hands and intertwined their fingers with a half confident smile. Paper thought holding OJ's hands like this felt a little weird because they were webbed, but didn't really mind after a moment.

"Alright..." Paper answered. His eyes drifted to Looseleaf, which he noticed was outside the mansion...? And looked rather pissed. "U-uh... I'll be right back..." Paper muttered and stepped away from OJ.