Ark 2, Chapter 29: Escapism.

TW: SEVERED LIMBS, HEAVY GORE, DEAD MUTILATED BODIES, DEATH.

———

True suffering.

You don't know it yet.

But you will...

———

Lightbulb silently entered Paintbrush's room. She walked over to the bed that Paintbrush was resting on. Lightbulb peered down sadly at the object laying in front of her. She lifted the blankets and got into the bed, wrapping her arms around Paintbrush. Even if they were barely conscious enough to feel it.

She could just tell Paintbrush appreciated her presence. She could tell by the way they weakly shifted towards her body heat. She smiled gently, trying to be comforting.

Or distraction from their current suffering. He hoped at least. Paintbrush didn't deserve what happened to them. They can be a little mean, but that in no way invoked this kind of torture! She frowned at the thought of Paintbrush being in pain right now.

The look of discomfort on their face... and the cold sweat that paired with their fever. It was concerning... She was afraid Paintbrush would die... Permanently.

Paintbrush sat under their blanket, their bristles a mess from the friction of the piece of fabric draped over them. They scribbled on the piece of paper with a smile.

They slid out of bed. And walked to their door, past the drawings that littered their bedroom walls, and collections of crystals and other trinkets. Their hand hovered over the door handle. They remembered what their mother told them.

Not to come out past bed time tonight.

They shrugged it off. It was Christmas soon, maybe they were wrapping presents! They wouldn't peek of course, but they did want to hang their new drawing in the fridge as a surprise for their mom and dad. They adjusted their sweater and opened the door quietly.

They slipped down the stairs and towards the kitchen. They grabbed a magnet and hung the drawing on the door of the fridge. That's when they heard something.

It came from the basement.

Usually the door was locket. They walk over to the door, eyes sparkling with curiosity. And grabbed the handle. The door creaked at first. Which made them stop, and open it slower.

They smelled something fowl... they grimaced at the smell, and their face scrunched up in an instant. They wave their hand at their face trying to waft away the clear smell of iron that now filled their lungs.

"Ugh..." they whispered.

They pulled the neckline of their sweater over their face below their eyes to block out the scent, and grabbed the railing with their other hand.

They climbed down the stairs slowly, testing each step before committing to the stairs, as to not make too much noise and wake their supposed sleeping parents.

They then heard whispering.

"How long do you think until they catch on?" They heard a whisper, unclear of who it was coming from.

"They haven't found any of them yet. I'd say we're doing well." The other huffed in a hushed tone.

"Pass me the saw... And then open the floor boards. We have to hurry before the concrete sets."