Chapter 2

The meal with his brothers and business partners was finally over. Seiya slumped exhaustedly onto his sofa and turned on the TV. So, his brother was really going to follow through with their father's insane plan and marry a complete stranger. Especially since this woman was a Tsukino, he mentally shook his head. Seiya knew all too well how powerful and dangerous the Tsukino family was. Their influence extended far beyond the city limits, and it was no secret that Kenji Tsukino stopped at nothing.

But he also knew that his brother had a mind of his own and rarely deviated from his decisions. Similarly, the demands of their father, the head of the family, were rarely questioned. Therefore, it was a done deal; this mysterious daughter of Kenji would marry into their family. Everything was subordinated to the well-being of the empire, and this attitude often disgusted Seiya.

He sighed and closed his eyes for a moment to forget the trials of the day. However, his thoughts kept returning to the girl on the street. There was something about her that wouldn't let him go. Despite her pitiful clothes and lean appearance, she didn't fit into the rough streets of Tokyo.

Suddenly, he felt the need to help her, to pull her out of this bleak reality, or at least to ease her circumstances. He canceled the originally ordered menu and decided on impulse that she should take on this task. Then he approached her, asking if she could cook. When her blue eyes met his, he knew he was doing the right thing.

Money was something he never had to worry about. His father controlled some districts of Tokyo underground, and therefore, he and his two brothers led a carefree life, at least financially. But this girl had touched something in him that went far beyond material possessions. Her blue eyes had looked at him with an expression of disbelief when he gave her the money she so desperately needed.

A contented smile played on his lips, and he decided that he would definitely see her again. The girl on the street had awakened something in him that he hadn't felt in a long time.

__

In the meantime, at Kenji Tsukino's.

Restlessly, the businessman paced in front of his magnificent fireplace. His gaze glinted with anger as he turned to his employees gathered in his elegantly furnished study.

"This can't be true! Find her! I don't care how, but time is running out for us," he thundered at his staff. "The Kous expect their bride to be presented in three days. Do you realize what's at stake with this wedding? It won't just be your jobs, that's for sure!"

One of the men with short red hair, named Rubeus, stepped forward and dared to respond to Kenji. "Kenji, we're on it, but Ikuko covered her tracks damn well. We don't even know if she's still in Japan. She learned from the best."

"That's not funny, Rubeus! I need my daughter back in this house, and that within the next 24 hours! After all, we still need to brief her on the most important matters," Kenji hissed back, rubbing the bridge of his nose in frustration. Time was ticking relentlessly, and he couldn't afford to lose any more.

A soft knock on the door made the heads of the men turn. A young woman cautiously opened the door. "I hope you bring us good news since you're already late, Mimete," Kenji growled at her. "Um, well, regarding that," Mimete began while sorting a stack of papers in her arms and handing some sheets to Kenji. "After her escape, Ikuko changed her last name to Sasaki, we've known that since last week. She got married a few months after Usagi's birth and then took her husband's last name. From then on, she was known as Ikuko Kimura. Ikuko Kimura had two more children and passed away about two years ago at the General Hospital here in Tokyo. I also obtained a copy of her death certificate." The blonde woman took a brief pause.

Kenji's eyes bore into hers. "So the children are with their father?" he inquired further. Finally, there was a hot lead on his daughter, but Mimete tensely pursed her lips.