Chapter 29

Usagi was already awake with the first rays of sunshine, a habit from her old life that she found hard to shake. She looked around, realizing she was in the bedroom. Then, her gaze slid furtively over Taiki's sleeping face. He lay on his back, with some distance between them, and his soft snoring filled the room.

Gently, she slipped out of bed and put on her clothes. Fortunately, Tellu had brought some things upstairs yesterday. Then she went to the kitchen. She had noticed that Taiki drank a lot of coffee, so she immediately brewed a large pot. Sitting at the table, she reviewed the events of the previous day.

Taiki entered the room an hour later, wearing only black sweatpants. His wife's embarrassed look didn't seem to bother him as he sat down and poured himself a cup of coffee without a word.

"It got late yesterday... I tried to stay awake, but obviously, I didn't make it... Were you at least successful? Is the doctor staying?" Usagi attempted to start a conversation.

Taiki took a sharp breath before sighing. "It wasn't easy, but yes, I think I managed to convince her to stay. At least for now." Usagi gave him a small smile. "That's a relief... I know I should have told you about my mother earlier, but I needed some time. I wasn't sure if I could trust you."

The word "trust" struck Taiki a little. Even though he didn't harbor deeper feelings for his wife, he had betrayed her last night, and he was sure he would do it again.

"It's okay. You're completely new to our world, and you need time to figure out who you can trust with what. I understand, even though I wish I had known a bit sooner... It does add some pressure to the situation." He lifted his gaze and looked at her. During the past night, he had made a decision, but first, he needed to know how far Usagi was willing to go. In his next step, he would involve Amy and his brothers. Taiki had been contemplating this for a long time, and now it was time to act on it.

"Serena, forgive me if I ask you so directly, but how do you want to proceed with the child issue? I mean, hormone therapy after a year can be intense, and I'd like to spare us, or rather you, from that... I know it's surprising for you that I'm bringing this up now, but I want to confide something in you as my wife..." He paused, and Usagi saw the serious expression on his face. "Serena, I've decided that we can't continue like this with our fathers. I've been considering stripping them of their power for a long time, and now they've crossed the line. I know my plan is not fully developed yet, but maybe we can make it and be free in a few years... Of course, it won't happen overnight, and it's unlikely to succeed in a year... That's why I need to know how you feel about this. If you agree to this, we'll..." Taiki stopped, but Usagi knew exactly what he was about to say.

She swallowed, nervously holding onto her cup, and thought briefly about his words. "I... I think we should at least try," she mumbled without looking at him.

Taiki's expression was thoughtful. It was a difficult topic for both of them, but he knew it needed to be addressed. They needed clear understanding and agreement. "We don't have to rush anything. Maybe once a month around ovulation, then the chances are good." Usagi nodded and started to think. "So around New Year's?"

Taiki shook his head with a smile. "I have no idea; I'm not familiar with your cycle. So, you're the one who has control over it. I'll fully follow your lead, and if you want to skip a month, that's perfectly fine. I don't want to pressure you into anything."

Usagi pursed her lips. "Not you, but those two old gentlemen who want to call themselves fathers..."

"I know, and it's not fair that they have your siblings as leverage. But we both need to agree on how to proceed. Because if it works, we'll be parents..."