Chapter 81

For several hours, Seiya had been pacing restlessly in his office at the harbor. He had informed Haruka about the drastic discovery on his way, and she arrived shortly after him. She immediately took over the coordination of the container search, while Seiya monitored the controls of the air and land routes from his office. Yaten's precautionary measures were now in effect, and Tokyo's supply was completely cut off. Only civilians could enter or leave Tokyo.

Seiya ran a stressed hand through his loose strands of hair, leaning his head against the cool window with his eyes closed, pondering intensely what someone could possibly want with the explosives. He had never triggered such a drastic emergency plan before, and he was very surprised that it actually worked smoothly. At least something, he thought to himself. However, he couldn't shake off the nagging feeling that Kenji had ordered the explosives, yet Yaten was right. Without evidence, it was hard to prove anything against him. But what did Kenji intend to do with such a large quantity? He could easily level a large part of Tokyo to the ground.

A loud clearing of the throat made Seiya turn around; Haruka was leaning casually against his desk. "Two more containers with the same paperwork error, also loaded with explosives, and in a regular one without errors, there was a small amount, but it was manageable," she informed Seiya with an expressionless face.

"In one of the trucks, we also hit the jackpot, CL-20, an explosive with even higher explosive power than TNT. Only the air route seems to be clear," Seiya replied monotonously, sinking into his chair. He grabbed a pen and noted down in bullet points everything they now knew. But there was something here that simply didn't make sense to him, he overlooked something. Then it caught his eye.

"You also think Kenji is the recipient. Why don't we confront him?" Haruka voiced his thoughts, and Seiya lifted his head.

"Yeah, somehow, but take a look at this," the black-haired man replied, pushing his notes over to her, then pointing with his finger at the roughly sketched table. "Here, with these containers, paperwork errors everywhere, all the same... except for one, and here with the truck, there was a similar discrepancy. It was almost as if someone wanted us to find the explosives. Kenji would never make such mistakes, and if one of his employees made such a mistake, the responsible person would have been gone a long time ago. One mistake like this might be possible, but four times, Ruka? No, there's more to it than that."

Haruka furrowed her brow and examined Seiya's scribbled notes. "You're right, it's kind of strange. But why would someone hand over such quantities of this substance to us? Did Yaten contact you again?"

Seiya shook his head. "No, nothing, and since he has no reception, he's probably in his basement interrogating someone. I just hope he's successful in what he's doing."

"I hope so too. But on another note, Seiya, what do we do with all the explosives? We can't leave them lying around down in the warehouse; if someone gets wrong ideas, everything within several kilometers could explode," Haruka pointed out.

"Damn," Seiya cursed quietly to himself. He hadn't thought about storage yet. But Haruka was right, leaving it here was too dangerous. "Do you have any ideas?" he now wanted to know from the blonde.

"Of course, I'll just take everything with me so no one can lay their hands on it," she said sarcastically.

"That's not funny, Ruka," Seiya snorted and rose from his chair again. He paced restlessly through his office for a few turns. "We still have an empty freighter in the dockyard; repairs on it were supposed to be completed yesterday. Check if that's been done, and then load everything on board. Sail it out far enough that there's no danger from the cargo. I'm sure Yaten will assign three or four of his men to guard it. None of our people will stay on board. We need to find out what's going on here first, and if we have to get rid of the stuff, a controlled detonation at sea is the way to go anyway."