Chapter 26

Taiki turned onto the highway and once again selected redial. The phone rang repeatedly until the voicemail message played, a message he had heard countless times today: "Hello, this is the line of Dr. Amy Mizuno. I'm currently unable to answer the phone, but I'll get back to you promptly if you leave your name and phone number."

A deep sigh escaped him. "Amy, damn it. I've been trying to reach you all day. Please let's talk. You're important to me, and I don't want to lose you. What happened this morning should never have occurred. Where are you? I've been to your apartment and the clinic without finding you. Please, get in touch. I love you."

The desperation in Taiki's voice was unmistakable, and he nervously drummed his fingers on the steering wheel. For over two hours, he had been driving aimlessly through Tokyo, and a dark foreboding settled over his thoughts. The sun was already setting, and he knew he didn't have much time left; his wife would soon expect his return. He then dialed Yaten's number, only to land directly on voicemail without a prior ringtone. This could only mean one thing. He turned the car around, changing his destination.

Soon, he reached the small house on the outskirts of Tokyo, feeling a hint of relief that at least this theory held up. Since Yaten was also unreachable, there was only one place where his brother could be – the basement. Reception was often poor down there. It was rare for him to visit Yaten in this place, but he saw no other way. He needed his brother's help both in finding Amy and locating the siblings.

With a soft click, the car door closed, and he made his way inside. When he opened the door and called for Yaten, there was no response. He descended the stairs. As soon as he opened the heavy metal door, tortured screams reached him. Slowly, he followed the cries and cautiously pushed the door open.

Yaten sat with his back to him. In front of him, bound to the table, lay someone, and Taiki saw a small pool of blood on the floor. Only on a second glance did he recognize who was bound to Yaten's table.

Shock widened his eyes, and with two long strides, he stood behind his brother, gripping Yaten's hand that tightly held a scalpel. "Are you out of your mind?! Do you even know who you're holding captive here?" he exclaimed in horror. However, Yaten only laughed scornfully, his venom-green eyes still fixed on Zoisite.

"Oh yes, I know very well. And our dear Zoisite was just about ready to talk to us. Am I right, my dear? So, I hate to repeat myself, but who is the wife of Mamoru Chiba?"

Taiki looked somewhat overwhelmed from Yaten to Zoisite, who grimaced in pain, biting his teeth together. A bit of blood seeped from a cut on his forearm, but it didn't look threatening. "Yaten, I need to know what's going on right now! Why is one of Chiba's associates down here? This violates one of the agreements! Can you even imagine the problems we'll face if this comes out? And what woman are you talking about?"

Yaten snorted annoyed. "Wait upstairs and give me a few minutes. I need to prepare something for the next round down here. Besides, he still needs an antibiotic... imagine if something gets infected here. After all, we've been playing with his nerve endings."

Taiki ran his hands through his hair in disbelief. "Spare me the details, please. I'll give you five minutes. Start thinking of a damn good excuse for all this," he added, pointing at Zoisite, who bore evident injuries.

Shaking his head, Taiki made his way upstairs and brewed a strong coffee. His inner self felt like a boiling volcano. He didn't know what was going on here, even though his brothers usually told him important things. Something had happened here recently that had completely passed him by. His phone vibrated briefly, and as he let it slide out of his pocket, he paused for a moment. A message from Amy.

> I don't think I can take this anymore. I can hardly bear the thought of what you probably did with her last night, and even less of what you will do with her. I submitted my resignation earlier. Don't look for me; I will leave Japan for some time. Amy.<