A Christmas Special (1)

[3rd POV] 

It is now December, and the holiday season has arrived in St. Freya. The school is covered in a blanket of snow, and while some students have gone home to celebrate Christmas with their families, others have decided to stay and enjoy the festivities with their friends. Kaito noticed the snow falling outside his window and paused from reading his book to take a moment to admire the beautiful scenery.

"It's been a while since I last saw a snowfall," Kaito said, reminiscing about his past experiences.

Wondering what the others were up to, he decided to leave his room and go downstairs. As he entered the kitchen, he saw Mei there, looking busy and sweating.

"Mei!" he exclaimed.

"Ah, Kaito, sorry I'm a little busy right now," she replied.

"Are you okay? You look tired," Kaito said, showing concern.

"I'm fine, don't worry. It's Christmas, and I'm planning on making a Christmas feast for us," Mei explained.

"Let me help you! We could split the tasks if I help," Kaito suggested.

"I appreciate it. You can start by cutting the veggies and dressing the cake," Mei said.

Kaito nodded and started chopping the veggies while taking a glance at Mei. As he expected, she looked tired. She checked the oven and quickly kneaded the dough for the gingerbread and then focused on the pot filled with soup. Kaito felt worried and sympathetic towards Mei. She had prepared the meal for him and others, and he thanked her every day. But seeing her expression now, he wanted to thank her differently.

"Kaito?" Mei's words broke him out of his thoughts.

"Oh, sorry, I was spacing out. I'll continue cutting the veggies and help again," he said, resuming his task.

"Oh, speaking of which, where are Alan and the others?" Kaito asked.

"Alan took Kiana for a stroll with Bronya joining in because Kiana was stressed out about what she wanted for dinner," Mei explained in the middle of her work.

"I see..." Kaito replied.

When Kaito is done cutting all of the Veggies. He heard a crash and the sound came from Mei, she accidentally pushed the baking tray and splattered the gingerbread cookies on the ground.

"Oh no.... no!" Mei panickedly said as she kneeled to clean the mess.

"Mei, you should rest. Your fatigue is slowly overcoming you" Kaito who kneeled too assured her.

"I'm fine Kaito, all of the dish are almost done and all I need is just to place them on the table," Mei said to him.

"Let me do that also, just go take a break or it will end up badly for you," Kaito said to her.

"I am fine. Don't you worry again Kaito" Mei said again but Kaito didn't buy it.

"You will get sick if you push yourself. You're trying to cover your fatigue and I won't allow that" Kaito countered her words.

"But-"

"No, go rest now. I'll take care of the rest." Kaito ordered.

Mei can't counter him again as he just follows what he said and sits on the back of the Kitchen counter, looking at Kaito who started cleaning the gingerbread mess and making a new one with the leftover dough.
While Kaito slowly progressed with the foods and others, he turned around to see Mei's condition and was surprised to see her sleeping. He sighed softly looking at it.

"Looks like my advice worked," he said.

He initiatively took his coat from the wall hanger near the door and used it to cover Mei as a blanket then continued working again.