SPECIAL CHAPTER #5 : THE LETTERS

Songs suggestion while reading :
"See You Again" - Wiz Khalifa ft. Charlie Puth
"Love Poem" - IU
"Lucid Dream" - Rocket Punch

Dr. Daeyeol's storytelling
Dr Daeyeol goes home after Sungyoon's funeral ends. For 3 days 2 nights he has been helping Leia with the funeral, he can finally take a rest now.

He takes a week leave since the day of Sungyoon's passing. It's been a while since the last time he took some break. Of course because he's feeling downcast lately too. When he arrives home, he throws himself on the couch straightaway. He sighs. Everything feels heavy lately. He's just looking at the ceiling, blankly. He doesn't know what to do, and he doesn't know what he's supposed to do. A luxurious penthouse of his feels empty as usual. He lives alone, not so far from his parents but not so close either. He bought the house before he supposedly got married, because he wanted to live in the penthouse with the love of his life, but it all became memories now. He felt his fiancée's presence in the house somehow so he chose to stay. He has accepted that his fiancée is no longer here but he just ain't ready to find someone new. Even though that's what his fiancée always wanted him to "find someone better when I'm gone and live happily", he isn't yet ready.

He turns his head to the blank tv screen, facing a picture of him and his fiancée in a frame next to the tv. He sighs again.

"Another patient of mine joined the Heaven today. He was a kind man. A very protective and loving person. I wonder if you two have met up there" Dr Daeyeol says.

He brings himself to sit. The reason for him to take a week off because he wants to give a hand for Sungyoon's funeral, and he wants to "soothe" himself over the death of his patient. Of course, life as a doctor is like a grim reaper on earth. You may be seeing your patients get new lives or you may be the one who takes their last breath. But, by far he knows, only Sungyoon and his fiancée's deaths are the ones he ever witnessed; so after them both dying, he took a week leave. He doesn't feel sad anymore, because Sungyoon has finally at ease, but he feels empty inside. Lately he spent most of his time at the hospital, on-called, because Sungyoon had regularly got epilepsy. There were some moments he did sleep at the hospital because he was worried if Sungyoon would be having seizures again. Now, it all stops. Nobody will ever call him "Dr Daeyeol! It's an emergency situation for your patient, Choi Sungyoon". Sungyoon has finally at peace.

When he's going through his pocket, he takes out his phone and a letter from Sungyoon that he took from Sungyoon's "time capsule". Out of sudden, his whole body feels nervous yet eager to know what's inside the letter. He takes a deep breath and he begins to read the letter written by Sungyoon before he passes away.

"Dear Dr. Lee Daeyeol,
As I take these feeble strokes of the pen, I want to express the depth of gratitude that words can only attempt to capture. In the realm of sterile hospital rooms and the ceaseless hum of medical apparatus, you became the orchestrator of my battle against cancer.

Your unwavering dedication to unraveling the complexities of this disease, your empathy in the face of my pain, and the silent battles you fought on my behalf have not gone unnoticed. In this quiet room where moments of despair echoed, your expertise has been a guiding light, offering hope when shadows threatened to consume me.

I am acutely aware that despite your clinical composure, you too bear the weight of each patient's journey. You have witnessed the fragility of life and confronted the limits of medical science with grace. In these trying times, your presence has been a pillar of strength.