SPECIAL CHAPTER #8 : KIM AREUM

Song suggestion while reading :
"Moment" - Golden Child

6 months after Sungyoon's passing, Jibeom has been promoted to a higher position in his company. At the same time, Jibeom and his little family has moved out to a new home that's nearer Areum's kindergarten. Jibeom bought a new bigger house with big lawn so Areum and her future siblings can play together in the backyard. A new house that's surrounded by many facilities and way better than their previous home. Therefore, Areum has been taught to return home by herself everyday, with guidance from her teachers and Leia will be waiting for her in front of the house everyday.

After Sungyoon's passing, Leia becomes a full time writer. Most of the time she'll spend her working time at home because she feels comfortable to work from home, to be closer to her family, and to see her kids grow in front of her eyes.

However, since Jibeom has been promoted to a higher position, he has rarely been at home. He spends most of his time at the office and several times in a month, he'll go for working trips. Leia understands his working schedule because she has been living that way anyway, since the late Sungyoon rarely been home too before due to his pack schedule. The only thing she can be grateful now is she isn't alone; she has Areum.

Areum has spent most of her days lately at home because Jibeom doesn't allow her to go out. Jibeom claims that she's still new to the neighbourhood, while Areum is a friendly kid, she makes friends with others very easily. Sometimes she goes playing outside with the other kids she has just known, but of course, with guidance either from Leia or Jibeom. Most of the time, it's Leia who accompanied her but lately Leia can't do that often. Leia's pregnancy has come to the end of 2nd trimester. Her belly is starting to be visible so it means that her energy is slowly declining too, as she'll be tired easily. Sometimes, Areum does show tantrums when Jibeom doesn't fulfill her needs. Jibeom has been rarely at home and she has been overprotective to his daughter. As Areum's growing up, he worries a lot about his daughter's life. He wants his daughter to grow up good but he doesn't understand her well enough since he isn't really seeing her often.

* * *

9 months after Sungyoon's passing, in a winter late December evening; after Christmas eve. Leia goes to her office today for the last discussion before she publishes her new book since she's going to take a long break after new year eve. It's because she'll be expected to have her baby in early January so she'll take a long postpartum break after that. Jibeom at that time is doing his work on his laptop. Areum is currently playing with her toys, until she hears some noise of a group of kids playing with the snow outside the house. They are all Areum's friends in the neighbourhood.

"Appa, I wanna go play outside" Areum says while looking at Jibeom.

"No, you can't. There's no one can watch you" Jibeom says; not even take his eyes off his laptop.

"But Appa, other kids are playing around. I'm not going further, I'm just playing with them.." Areum points out to a group of kids who are currently building a snowman together in front of her house; from the sliding door.

"No, you can't. It's cold outside" Jibeom says.

"But Appa, they can play outside.. why can't I? Mama always let me play with my friends.." Areum tries to persuade Jibeom.

"They are older than you. Their antibodies may be stronger than you. I don't want you to catch cold.." Jibeom says.

"Hmph! You always say that! You never let me do what I wanna do! I hate you!" Areum runs to her bedroom upstairs. Jibeom sighs while looking at Areum.

At the same moment, Leia opens the front door.

"I thought Areum is outside playing with the kids. Where is she?" Leia says while looking at Jibeom. Jibeom sighs while looking at Leia.