8

After a few hours in the sun and the pool mainly cleared the things that I could reach with a long stick I took a moment to breathe

After a few hours in the sun and the pool mainly cleared the things that I could reach with a long stick I took a moment to breathe. Looking up I'd found that Rafe had worked closer to where I was. He was topless working away with a thin layer of sweat glistening on his skin. I rolled my eyes more at myself than him for even looking in his direction.

"Hey, honey I've brought you some lemonade" Rose's voice filled my ears I turn my head in her direction seeing she already had a glass of wine in one hand. I chuckled lightly at her accepting the lemonade from her and taking a good few mouthful. "How did you sleep last night Rafe said he heard you pacing around in your room" she smiled to me as she wrapped an arm around me. That's where my brain started to overthink what if he heard anything else from my room last night?

"I slept OK in the end, I'm a light sleeper so any sound woke me up really" I said before looking back over to Rafe, finding him already staring at us. His eyes were still as dark as they were last night and his body tense when we looked in his direction. Quickly, I looked back down to my glass, finding it more fascinating. "Are you sure you're OK? Rafe is not bothering you is he?" she asked, catching my eyes with hers.

I shook my head and smiled while taking another sip trying to think of any excuse that could come to mind. Rose looked between me and Rafe and raised a brow. Before she could say anything, Ward walked over. "Sweetie do you mind coming over here I need to have a chat with you and Sarah" he yelled from the other side of the pool I nodded my head at the handed the lemonade glass back.

"Thank you that was really needed" I smiled, and she shot me a smile in return however her eyes still lingered with concern she looked back towards Rafe noticing he was watching us. I quickly made a hasty exit towards Ward. Finding him at the bottom of the yard he was speaking to a lady I recognized from the cut.

She gave me a sad smile remembering who I am, I looked away hating that this was still a common thing for people to look at me like that. Across the yard I could see Sarah swatting the air with a tennis racket to stop the birds eating the mice. I laughed at how crazy she looked. Ward called her over and she stood by my side. "Girls this is Lana, Scooter's wife, Sarah you were storm prepping with him, right?" He asked looking at her concerned and instantly my skin was covered in goosebumps.

When someone ever speaks like that it means something bad has happened. I looked over to Lana and realised her hands shaking, looking frantic. White noise filled my ears as I watch them all talk about where he might be. I stayed silent. That feeling of hope when you know they are could be dead, it's the most single-handed worse feeling in the world. Holding on to that last bit of hope is horrific.

Ward turned to me "Did you see him at all yesterday when Rafe brought you home from the beach?" He said. I shook my head and looked back at her. Her eyes mirrored what I was feeling. Pain. Watching another person have the same feeling as you once endured is almost like reliving the pain yourself. "I hope you find him" I whispered as Ward pulled her away. He had noticed my sudden change in mood and shot me a concerned look, but I just smiled and nodded that I was okay.

As they walked away Sarah turned to me and crossed her arms. "Rafe took you home from the beach?" She squinted her eyes at me before looking over in his direction. He was talking with his father yet his eyes still burned holes in my skin even with Sarah staring at him he didn't look away. "Yeah, he practically dragged me home, I was with the Pogues" I said watching as her eyes darkened with concern. "Why would he do that?" She asked watching me carefully.

I shrugged my shoulders, lying to Sarah was never an option for me. She always saw straight through my lies. "I have no clue because he is trying to make my life a living hell at the moment doing everything he possibly can to get under my skin" I groaned looking away from Rafe and back out to the marsh. 

"I always thought he had a crush on you when we were younger, he was your other best friend and then one day you guys just stop speaking and started hating each other so why would he come get you if he hates you?" She asked and I turned my gaze back to her that was a question I didn't even know the answer to.

I sighed before pushing my hair away from my face. The sun was still beating down our skin I was hot and sweaty and quite frankly still tired. "Your guest is as good as mine" I mumbled but her eyes were still full of concern she crossed her arms before stepping closer to me. "I don't know whether he's doing it because he hates you or if he wants your attention again but be careful Rafe is obsessive and manipulative he wasn't anything like when he was when he was 13 you're my best friend and I love you so if there is anything going on just be careful" she smiled gently before her eyes flicked behind me I turned to see her looking back at Rafe as he was with the boys.

"I don't even know what's going on if that makes you feel any better" I mumbled. "Heard your little Pogue friends are having a party tonight, Wanna crash?" Topper smiled as he wrapped his arms around Sarah making her blush. I let out a small chuckle and shook my head catching all their attention. "Not if you're gonna go all guard dog again and not let me speak to my friends" I replied Rafe took a step further gaining my undivided attention.

"Well, we can't promise that you need to stay away from them they're not good" Rafe mattered his eyes growing dark and his jaw going back to the normal hard and tense as it always was. I crossed my arms over my chest and cocked my head mocking him. "You can't tell me what to do. You got your way at the beach you won't get your way tonight" I spat out, the group around us tensed as they waited for Rafe's reaction his eyes flickered between mine before running a hand for his messy hair and pointing at me with the other.

"You're playing a dangerous game you're trying to challenge me Castillo" he whispered I could see Topper and Kelsey shift uncomfortably behind them but Sarah just watched assessing the situation for herself. I let a laugh slip through my lips before taking a step closer, grabbing the finger he was pointing at me and pushing it away. 

"I'm not playing any game Rafe I'm telling you that I will speak to my friends tonight and if you've got a problem with that then don't come" I whispered but he simply just smirked as a response. "You can't tell me what to do" he said mocking me. And with that he stormed away the boys quickly following behind him and Sarah looked at me as if I was insane.

"Oh God Izzy he's obsessed with you" Sarah said mouth so wide with shock. "And I have no idea why but I'm not backing down from him Sarah and he isn't going to tell me what I can and can't do, he's not my boyfriend" I mumbled back before taking a deep breath and running a hand through my hair. He was right we are playing a dangerous game and to do it in front of everyone. How he's acting it's like he doesn't care it's like he wants people to know.