13

Entering Toppers house you could smell the alcohol, the sweat and whatever anyone was smoking in the yard, music was blaring so loud there I couldn't even hear myself think

Entering Toppers house you could smell the alcohol, the sweat and whatever anyone was smoking in the yard, music was blaring so loud there I couldn't even hear myself think. Sarah waved us in and out of people making it to the bar we found Topper waiting.

His eyebrows shot up in surprised as he looked at me. "Are you feeling OK you're not wearing complete black" he teased making Sarah laugh as she swung her arm around my shoulder. "I dressed her tonight actually and I think she looks amazing" she spoke as topper handed us our drinks. We all dive into conversation with the people around us and noticed Topper was starting to look around the party as if he was looking for someone. He pulled out his phone send a text and put it back. I stared at him but he just smiled nervously.

When Topper did something like that, I knew he was up to something but I chose to ignore it calling him out on it group for the people I wouldn't get the answer that I wanted. Moments later Kelce appeared at my side. "Wow lime green suits you Iz" he smirked as he gave me a quick side hug and I pinched his arm in return. "I do have other colors in my wardrobe I just prefer black" I chuckled finishing off my drink. I started to pour myself another one when I felt like I was being watched.

I looked up to connect eyes with Noel. This was the first time I've seen him since that Rafe told him to leave. I quickly looked away, pouring the rest of my drink into the cup. "Rafe knows that you are both here" Kelce whispered in my ear. I sent him a confused look.

How would he know we're both here when I haven't even seen him myself? I noticed Kelce pulled out his phone and sent off a quick message. Something was going on that I didn't know about. "What's going on? Why does it matter Rafe knows if we are both here?" i questioned him. Topper's eyes snapped to Kelce and sent him a glare. They were up to something.

But before I could question again, I saw Rafe muttering into the ears of other people. People I recognized from that night when he was selling them coke. He must have known I was watching him. His eyes flickered over to me.

And he smiled. He actually smiled in my direction. I noticed his whole demeanor had changed from earlier. He looked relaxed and there was only one reason why he was relaxed and that was because he was high. He made his way through the crowd and towards me and like an idiot I just stayed still and waited for him.

I hadn't noticed the people we were with had disappeared and as he got closer, he nodded to Kelce to leave which he did submissively. He stood meters away from me as I rested against the counter with my drink in my hand. It was like the music had faded away, just a distant buzzing in the background.

"Are you ready to talk to me yet?" He said quietly crossing his arms over his chest. I kissed my teeth at him before taking a sip of my drink I needed anything to entice Tatiana to come out and play but it seemed she wasn't in the mood. He coughed out a laugh before plucking my drink from my hand and putting it down on the counter wanting to gain my full attention, it was a power move more than anything.

"I thought you said you wouldn't kiss me when I'm high and now you wouldn't speak to me when I'm high too" he mumbled, his eyes beating down on me like he was ready to pounce on me. I was a deer in the lion's den. But I simply just rolled my eyes and copied his body posture and crossed my arms. "I thought you didn't care right?" I smiled sarcastically cocking my head to mock him.

But he didn't react. His eyes not leaving mine, everything in my head went silent. I hate him, I need to hate him I can't, I just can't. I felt the butterflies try and fly in my stomach by I quickly stepped on them pushing them back down, he was high he didn't mean that smile.

"Why do you do it Rafe?" I whispered to him, trying to break the silence trying to hide the fact that I was trying so hard not to smile back at him. His eyes broke from mine as he looked back down to my cup that he'd put on the side. He ran a hand throw his messy curtains falling just in front of his eyes, he took a deep breath and then looked back up at me it was almost like he had shaken himself out of the trance.

"I used to have something stronger to take my mind off of things the coke is easier to get hold of, plus you heard earlier they need the money to pay for the generators" he muttered looking around at the people around us. I used reading as my escape, and he used cocaine. I knew that his dad's approval meant a lot to him. If I ever got my dad's approval on anything I think I would cry with happiness so I understood.

I was going to take this opportunity and use it to my advantage. "Let me help you, resettle this, you get your money and then you leave me and my friends alone" Looked over to him but his face grew dark and he shook his head quickly, his tight jaw and his tense body returned. "Not a chance the minute anyone who's that you're selling. the big drug dealers will think your game you aren't doing it end of discussion" and with that he disappeared off back into the crowd the music came blaring back into hearing.

I gave him a simple and easy offer, yet he refused because he doesn't want anyone to think I'm associated with that why? All there were, were questions with no answers at the moment with him. I felt like a rag doll with my emotions one moment I hated him in the next I wanted to help him.

I picked my cup up and walked outside for some air. Topper's yard looked over the marsh as well, fewer people were outside this side of the house, so it was quiet. I admired the stars in the sky thinking about how we always used to say any relatives who had passed were a star in the sky. I used to speak to the brightest star as if it was my mom.

I downed the rest of my drink and took another deep breath. I needed to get my emotions in check because this was becoming mentally draining. I needed to decide whether I hated him or not going back and forth like a yo-yo wasn't it anymore. I felt someone come stand next to me then I knew who it was instantly. From his taller frame and his black hair, I knew it was Noel.