32

Wrapped in Rafe's arms always felt like a comfortable place for me I didn't think that I would appreciate these moments as much as I do

Wrapped in Rafe's arms always felt like a comfortable place for me I didn't think that I would appreciate these moments as much as I do. when I looked up to him and how peaceful he was, it reminded me of when we were younger and when I first ever lay eyes on him, it wasn't love at first sight but after talking to him and getting to know him I realized that maybe just maybe there was a life that I could picture with him in it. And I didn't think I would ever get to that point.

After all the arguing and always hating each other, all of that it was because we simply couldn't admit that the feelings that we had felt for each other when we were 13 weren't just a silly teen love story they were real. They were real for me and I was starting to believe that they were real for him as well. We were both loved by our mothers when we were younger and we both went through so much trauma that we didn't deserve and that trauma has shaped us into who we are today sadly.

We both crave our fathers validation and that's why we got so mad when we couldn't get it from each other. I ran my finger along the bridge of his nose replaying the events of last night in my mind and how frantic he looked and how relieved he looked when I emerged from the darkness. I could feel my brain slowly ticking away until finally the alarms bells rang in my mind.

John B. Ward. Murder. Gold. Lies.

I needed to get to John B. There was no way in hell Rafe was going to let me out of his sight for the next few days knowing full well he would kill him on site if he saw him. I used the advantage of Rafe being so deeply in his subconscious mind that I slipped from his tight grip around my body finding my phone in the rubble of my clothing he had removed from my body last night, trying to say as deathly quiet as I could.

Pulling on one of his T-shirts and a pair of his boxes were the cleanest things I could find. Quietly tiptoeing over to his door, I looked back, he hadn't moved and once I was out the door I made a run for it downstairs and into the yard into the deep parts of the garden where I knew no one would hear me. I had noted on my way down that none of the car keys that are normally hung up by the front door were there so I need to make this call quick.

I could feel my breathing quickening and my hands fumbling trying to scroll through my phone to find the contact praying to God that he would actually pick up his phone for once. "Come on come on" I whispered to myself as I hit dial, listening to the ringtones. After a few rings he picked up he sounded breathless and angry over the phone just from his breathing. "John B?" I whispered frantically looking around the garden triple checking no one had seen me come out here and praying to the gods above that Rafe hadn't woken.

"It's all gone all the gold, Ward has taken it he's got all the gold" he sounded defeated and breathless as if he had just been running a marathon. I felt my stomach drop knowing that it wouldn't be long before some big plan in action would happen, Ward was bounded to take off somewhere with the gold and hide it. "Fuck" I whispered running a shaking hand through my hair. Greed and power did many things to family like ours and if Ward had his hands on this no doubt my father had some part in this plan.