Chapter 3: Awkward dinner

I twirled my fork around in my mashed potatoes, avoiding everyone's eyes. The dinner was awkward and I had lost my appetite, something that never happened. Harry and my step dad were already done with their food and had left my brother and I sitting at the table with my disappointed mother.

     "You know...." My mother started, getting Niall's and my attention. "There was good news I was going to tell you." I perked up in my chair, Niall did the same. She noticed our anticipation and smirked. "Jasper..... Niall.... Your father decided to pay your way to the University of California just like you wanted." My mom finished. I threw myself up from the chair and danced around the room. Niall's face lit up with a braced grin.

   "Except!" My mother shouted, making me slump back into my chair. I hated that word... "Since you can not control yourselves, your father is moving into his house in L.A and you two and Harry with him. That is your punishment." My mouth fell open and I was unable to speak. Niall did all the talking for me; "What?! C'mon!" He yelled, throwing his hands up in the air. Our mom glared at him and he silenced his confused frustration.

     "You are staying with your father, no exceptions. If you get in trouble anymore than what he would simply ground you for- that means no police, no court, no juvie, no jail, and no more bailouts," She said aggressively, emphasizing the Juvie part towards me. "you will be sent back here in Ireland and you will be forced to go to college here and live with me." She continued, her accent thick with determination. "But! We're adults! You can't force us to go to college here or live with Dad!" I argued. "I can if you don't want to pay for it all yourself miss Jasper." Our mom snapped. I slumped even further down in my chair, absolutely defeated.

    I lay face down on Niall's bed as Harry and Niall packed their things and Niall explained the situation to Harry. "So graduation is tomorrow..." Harry said, waiting for verification. Niall nodded. "And we leave the day after on the plane.." Niall nodded again. "And once we're in New York, we pack our stuff in Jasper's car and drive to L.A." Niall nodded once more and continued to pack and label boxes of clothes and keepsakes. "And Dad's going to fly with us but drop us off in New York and meet us in L.A." I added. Harry smiled and pulled his thick brown curls away from his forehead with one large hand; "ROAD TRIP!" He shouted. I gave him a grin and threw up my arms, "WOOHOO!"