Isolated - Meredith Vickers

Daydreaming, I gaze aimlessly at the stars and planets and meteors surrounding myself and the select few with me. I've talked to many about how they feel being in space, meaning I've received an collection of answers. I've been told that some feel in danger, some feel free, some feel at peace. Although, technically they're all correct in some way or another, I can't help but feel completely different. 

I'm ripped from my daydream by the sound of mechanical doors whizzing open. I squeeze my eyes closed, then look over my shoulder. A handful of people enter the room. The woman leading looks at me, her eyes meeting mine. "Hello, darling." she greets. I smile softly. "Hello, my dear." I answer. As I push myself off the surface behind me, I begin walking around to her. The others that followed her in crowd across from her. Walking up beside her, I rest my hand gently on her lower back and kiss her head. "Shall I leave you all?" I ask, quietly. My wife looks to me. "You don't have to, but it may get loud in here, and you looked to be enjoying the quiet." she answers. I nod then kiss her lips. "I'll head to your office. It has a nice window in there." I tell, smiling. She nods, a ghost of a smile on her face. "Okay." she whispers before pecking my lips with hers. 

Once in her office, I savour the quiet as I did when alone before. I slowly lower myself into the chair behind her desk, then swivel around to face the large window behind me. Again, I gaze to the endless distance of rocks and fireballs and gas balls. Quickly I lose focus. Before long, I hear the familiar sound of mechanical doors whizzing open then closed. Seconds later, I feel two firm, yet gentle, hands on my shoulders. "How are you, darling?" Meredith questions, squeezing my shoulders softly. I sigh, laying my head back. "Good. How are you?" I reply, my eyes now closed. "Mm, okay." She kisses my forehead. I smile softly. "Tired." she adds. I open my eyes, nodding. 

"What's on your mind?" Meredith questions as I'm, once again, staring out to space. "No one seems to feel isolated out here, or maybe no one is willing to admit feeling that, but I can't help but feel extremely isolated." I share. Meredith sighs. "That's because we are isolated, darling. We're out here alone." she replies. I nod. "I know, I know, but it shocks me that no one else has said it. Like, don't get me wrong, I've been wanting to experience this my entire life. Ever since I was a young girl I've wanted to experience what it's like being in space, and I always knew that it'd be isolating, but, I don't know, it just feels weird now knowing what that isolation truly feels like." I explain. 

The chair swings around, and Meredith sits on my lap. My eyes widen. "Ooh, this is ne-" I try. She presses two fingers to my lips and my voice stops. "I understand how you feel, because I feel the exact same way. It's not a feeling of isolation to the point of feeling alone," she says. I nod, agreeing. "But a feeling of isolation as you're constantly aware that there is no world around us anymore. I can promise you that everyone feels this way. We're all aware that there is a short amount of us in this ship. Everyone is feeling isolated no matter what they say." she tells me. I smile once again. She removes her fingers from my lips. I lean forward and kiss her. "As long as I'm isolated with you, I'll be more than okay." I whisper. Her lips pull into a soft smile as she cups my face. "I will never let you feel isolated without me, darling." 

-

A.N: Hi (ITS MY BIRTHDAY IN A WEEK)