19. Growing Distance

Manik's pov

The days past like a wind it's been 6 days now and we are still here in this house.

Nothing changed between us she acting same and I am as well ignoring her.

She doesn't talk to Aaryaman in front of me, she still thinks that I am unaware of what is going on.

It was the same usual evening, she is inside the room and I know she is talking to him and here I'm trying to divert my mind watching a movie on mobile. I have plugged both my headphones.

She came out and looked at me, she said something but I wasn't able to hear.

"What?" Taking out my headphone I asked.

"Do you know where my socks are I kept them besides my pillow before sleeping but now they're missing"

"I haven't seen" I said.

"Okay" she turned and was going but the phone in her pocket start ringing. She was frozen on her place.

Finally I got a way to ask her. She didn't move from her place.

"What is this sound? It's not my phone" I asked getting up. She turned around looking at me "You have phone?" I asked.

"Uhm... Actually its...Manik I..." The phone again starts ringing. She took out the phone silencing it.

"As far as I know you didn't have phone then... Where this came from?"

"It's not mine"

"Then? Who gave you this?... That guy right?"

"No... I stole it"

"Stole it?... From where and when?" This girl will be the death of us.

"From Mr. Malhotra it's his phone when... When I attacked him he wasn't... Wasn't able to get up so I... I used the opportunity and stole it" She said.

"Oh god give this damn phone to me" I shouted snatching the phone from her hands. "Have you lost you mind Nandini you know what you have done? This phone is dangerous for us... He... He can easily track us... Oh god I will loose my mind what are you even thinking Nandini why are you doing this?"

"I didn't knew I'm sorry"

"So... Sorry? Seriously? I offered you Nandini I offered you that if you want to talk to that guy you can through my phone but you refused and now here you are talking to him why?"

"I... I don't need your help anymore that is why"

"What? But why?"

"Because I'm tired of you I don't want to be with you anymore I wanna leave this place and you as well" she shouted all of a sudden. Her words hit me hard.

"What?"

"Yes I'm tired of taking help from you I'm tired of everything I want to go back from where I came"

"Is this what you want?" I asked

"Yes"

"Fine I'll call him and ask him to take you with him, okay?"

"I can call myself"

"Fine do so but not with this phone" I said and she nodded.

I gave her my phone and she went back to the room. I sat on couch rewinding her words. Here I was doing my best to help her but... She is tired of me?

********

The door knocked and she came out, she opened the door and he came inside.

"Hey what's up?" He asked looking at me.

"Good you tell"

"Good" Nandini came near him and they hugged each other.

I divert my focus on television forcing a fake smile on my face.

"If you allow I wanna take my girlfriend with me Dr. Manik Malhotra" he said and I smiled.

"Sure you can I am no one to stop" I said.

"So shall we leave?" He asked her.

"Yes" I looked at her while she was already looking at me. Her face showed some expressions but I chose to ignore.

"Take care" I said before leaving the place.

*********

3 days later

"I can't believe man you are in love!" Cabir said. I sipped from my can with a nod. "Oh god, you are in love with her and she is in love with him, this triangle!"

"Exactly I don't know why this happened I mean why he came back?"

"It doesn't matter he came back or not the fact is Nandini loves him"

"Her feelings would have changed by time but he ruined everything"

"What are you going to do now?"

"What can I do Cabir, surely the feelings will fade with time as its just a start" I said taking a chips from packet.

"In that case Best of luck" he said munching the chips.

"I'm leaving I have to take a look on job interview" I said getting up

"Alright! Best of Luck" I left.

Mr. Malhotra is in hospital, he said that Nandini attacked him to save herself. He can't walk for a month as it will affect his injury.

*******

Coming out of the office I sighed. Because of him I'm not able to get a job anywhere.

Taking a deep breathe I sat back in car. I have to do something about this job thing, the last option left for me is to return back to America, what else I can do?

I unlocked house's door, I'm still living in the same house we were hiding in. I turned around feeling someone's presence behind me.

It was her, I couldn't believe my eyes. She was alone.

"Nandini?" I was confused to see her and that too alone.

"Can I come inside?" She asked.

"Sure come" I let her in and closed the door behind. "You sit I just come"

I went inside the kitchen to bring a glass of water. Coming out I saw her playing with her fingers, she was looking disturbed

"Nandini you fine?" I asked sitting besides her offering her the glass.

"Yeah what can happen to me?....... Can I go to room I am tired?" After a pause she asked.

"Sure"

"Thank you" she got up and left inside.

Where is Aaryaman? He did something to her? What if he just used her and left?

These questions were killing me, I got up and went behind her.

"Where is Aaryaman, Nandini?" She looked at me

"He left me"

"What? What you mean by he left you?" I sat beside her

"He made me meet his family so that we can get married as soon as possible but..."

"But?"

"His parents declined, they knew my father sold me and they don't want a daughter-in-law like me" her eyes were watery but she was trying her best to control.

"So he left you... Again?"

"He said he can't go against his family, he can't take care of me alone as he is not independent"

"Bullshit"

"Manik will I ever be loved by someone who can accept me with all my past, with the marks I have on my body, with the fact that I was someone's personal property, someone's mistress?"

I took a deep breathe, she was on the verge of crying but she was trying hard to control.

Alina❤