Eight; Family Secrets

Eight: Family Secrets

Dan;

"I wish we could be together." I said, I didn't mean for Phil to hear it but he did. After we had kissed we just sat in silence, our knees touching. Electricity was still running through me from the kiss. 

Phil hummed. "But we can't, you know that." 

I looked down at my shoes, ashamed. Of course we couldn't he had his soulmate and Phil would end up with him and I would end up alone. Never mind that, there was the whole issue with the government, we couldn't hide from them. 

"Phil..." how could I say this without sounding too jealous, too harsh, too something. "He's no good for you, first date and he's already upset you; you deserve someone better." 

Me. 

But I couldn't say that, I would sound incredibly cocky and that is the complete opposite of who I am. 

He sighed, turning to face me, a sad smile on his face as he did so. "Like you, you mean?" 

I blushed and he let out a dry laugh. "Yeah."

"It's not Ryan." Phil admitted, which shocked me. "I'm not sure how I feel about you just yet but all I know is that I liked that kiss and I like you. I am just unsure of the context of my feelings. It's the government that I am worried about."

"Fuck the government!" He laughed and shook his head, obviously not taking me seriously. 

"No, seriously!" 

"I'm guessing that I never told you the full story of my brother then, did I?" 

I shook my head. He told me that he had to leave but I never knew the full story, I never fully understood his brother's sudden departure. However, I never pressed on, It was up to Phil if he wanted to tell me or not. 

Phil was quiet for a moment or too, staring blankly at the poster-covered wall in front of us. I noticed that one of the posters wasn't exactly straight and this irked me. Making a mental note to straighten it once Phil had left was at the top of my list. I was broken away from my weird-OCD daydream from Phil clearing his throat. 

"Well, you know how my brother was a bit of a Jack the lad?" Phil began and I nodded. Phil's brother was one that had all the girls' attention back in high school. He always had a posse of girls trailing behind him, heart eyes emoji and all. To be fair he was good looking. "He was only fifteen at the time, and like most teenage boys at that age, he had a boyfriend."

"Her name was Olivia, him and her were perfect together." Phil was staring at the wall, a smile on his face. "Me and my mum always thought them two were going to be each other's soulmates. They acted like it anyway..." 

"I'm guessing that they weren't each other's soulmates, were they?" Phil frowned; shaking his head. 

"Nope." Phil then turned away from the wall and looked at me. His eyes were filled with sadness and it felt like a stab in the gut. The world was so unfair."However, Luke, my brother, and Olivia would meet up in secret. They met in this small meadow every Saturday, it was far away from people."

"It seemed like it was safe, it went on for over a year but they were caught."

I grabbed Phil's hand, holding it in my own. I ran the pad of my thumb across his hand as he continued on with the story.It must have been hard for him to re-tell it; to re-live it. I wanted to tell him to stop but I know he would ignore me and continue- he was always a stubborn one. 

"They planned to get married and everything." Phil laughed. 

"What happened?" Phil sighed. 

"It was around three in the morning and there was this terrible banging sound. It woke us all up, frightening us. At first I thought that a bin had been knocked over outside but it wasn't, it was the police."

"They knocked down the door, shouting at us, asking where Luke was."

I was unsure if I wanted to hear anymore. Phil was getting choked up and the last thing that I wanted was the upset Phil. He was to perfect to be hurt. Phil was a walking ball of sunshine and I wanted to kill anyone who has ever upset Phil; he deserves the world. 

"They dragged him away, they already had Olivia." I squeezed his hand as I noticed tears that had began to fall from his eyes. "We haven't seen or heard from either of them since. That was five years ago now."

He then continued, his blue eyes piercing into my own, making my heart almost beat out of my chest. "And that's why we can't be together." He frowned and so did I. 

The an idea popped into my head, something that may just cheer us up:

"Like I said..." I trailed off, "Fuck the government." 

And for the second time that day, we kissed.

And it was perfect.