Seventeen; Nonchalance is the key

Seventeen: nonchalance is the key

Dan;

"Why don't you and Phil just kill the government?" Chris suggested, shrugging his shoulder. He acted nonchalant about his statement and I was gobsmacked; did I hear that correctly? 

"What?" 

Chris rolled his eyes. "You heard me." My mouth was still hung open. My mind couldn't process anything because did he really think that overthrowing the government would allow me and Phil to be together. Sure the thought had crossed my mind before but it was absurd to think of let alone think of. "You might as well, thats the only effective way that you two can be together. Besides, no one likes the government anyway." 

Chris had made it sound that it was the easiest thing in the world to pull off, he acted as though what he was saying was a really good plan. And although it was the only decent - I was being nice there, it really wasn't worthy of getting a title but it had to be called something, right? - plan we had I just couldn't even allow it to be considered. 

That would only end up with me and Phil drove further apart. 

It's not like we would succeed anyway. 

"I don't know..." I replied. How could I let him down easily?

"Look Dan, you have to do something. Louise is sixteen next week, you can't keep using her because she will have to be with her soulmate. I know the plan may not be the best but it's the only one you have so you will have to stick with it. At least until we come up with a better plan" Chris reasoned and I thought it over. He was right, we have to do something. 

The bell rang signifying that the lesson was over and we all stood up, packing up our bags. I was a little slower than everyone else as my mind was pre-occupied on what the hell me and Phil was going to do. 

Maybe overthrow the government it is then. 

* * *

"You know, we've not been on a date yet." Phil pointed out. 

"Well it's not been that easy." I frowned. 

Me and him were sat on the field like we did every week. School had finished a little over two hour ago so we decided whilst the weather was still nice that we would go to the field. Just me and him. Like I wanted it to be, like it always should be. 

I always felt at peace here. I wasn't sure if it was because of the slight breeze that could be felt at the top of the hill, or the large trees that kept you hidden from the outside world or maybe it was because of the stream that was at the bottom of the field. Maybe it was a factor of all three. 

Phil reached over and grabbed my left hand in his right and entwined our fingers together. "Nothing ever is." 

I smiled. That was true. 

"But we are soulmates," Phil squeezed my hand and I squeezed back, making him smile wide. " We should be acting like soulmates and it's unfair that the government made a mistake and we have to suffer. I love you, Dan Howell and I want to show you off but I can't!" 

I gasped. "You love me?!?" 

"Dan, that isn't the most important thing right now-" 

"Maybe but... You love me!" I was like a child at christmas. 

Phil chuckled. "You sure are special." 

I blushed. "Thanks?" 

"You're welcome." Phil smiled cheekily and I rolled my eyes.

We were silent for a moment as we thought things over. 

Phil loved me. 

He loved me. 

Me!

I wasn't anything special yet I was loved by someone who was special and amazing and perfect. 

"We should stay here." Phil states. He's looking around the grassy field and so am I. The view is perfect but not as perfect as the view in front of me. 

"What do you mean?" 

"Me and you- when we run away we should come here. It's safe, far enough from everyone and no one will think to look here." Phil added. 

He had a point and I wanted to trust him but I had my doubts about the plan. "But where would we stay?"

"I found a cabin the other day, there was furniture in there but seemingly unoccupied." 

"And food?" 

Phil grabbed ahold of my other hand now, he was looking right into my eyes. "Dan, don't worry. I have it all sorted. When the time comes I'll call you." 

He then sighed and reluctantly stood up. The sun was setting that meant we had to go. Usually we would have left before the sky would turn orange but I guess we got carried away. 

I stood up too. I grabbed Phil's hand and threaded my fingers between his own as we started to walk back to society. To the real world. "How will I know it's time?" 

"Trust me, you'll know." With one last squeeze of the hand and a quiet, 'I love you' which I eagerly repeated, we parted ways. 

As I walked home I thought of all the consequences of me and Phil running away to live in the cabin but the thought of being with Phil outweighed all the possible consequences as being with Phil meant happiness even if it wouldn't last long as the inevitability of being caught would creep up on us. 

X

Ah yes, foreshadowing. My favourite thing to do :) 

I only updated the other day but I was sad and writing this makes me happy so I thought, why the hell not?? 

I have this book all planned out and omg I am so excited for you all to read it! I even have a sequel planned out and it's all going to be so intense. 

BUt that's all you're going to get for now ;)