21.

The hall roared with applause and cheers as I slowly placed the ring on Yash's hand.

Yash grinned, "Now, it's my turn," sliding the same proposal ring onto my finger. Despite his suggestion of buying a new ring for the engagement, I declined, finding the current one exquisite.

Yash tenderly kissed the back of my hand, drawing laughter from the lively crowd. My gaze shifted, feeling a sudden shyness in front of everyone. Despite my father's discreet throat-clearing, we took our seats on the stage, receiving congratulations from those who joined us.

Amidst the festivity, my eyes searched the crowd for one person.

Where was he? Is he okay?

Whispering to Yash, I inquired, "Yash, where's Rajveer?" Scanning the crowd, he shrugged, replying, "He should be here." Yash, concerned, sent a message to Rajveer, hoping for reassurance about his well-being.

As we sat together at our engagement, I caught Yash staring at me, his eyes filled with a mixture of admiration and happiness. Curious, I nudged him gently and asked, "What's on your mind? Is there something wrong? Does my makeup look alright?"

Yash chuckled and took my hands in his, "No, your makeup is perfect. I was just lost in the moment, thinking about how incredible it is that we're going to be married. I can't believe how lucky I am, and it makes me so happy."

His words melted away any concerns I might have had, leaving only the warmth of shared joy as we embraced the significance of our journey together.

Scanning the lively crowd, a shock ran through me as I spotted Kabir among the attendees. Questions raced through my mind – what was he doing here, and could he potentially stir up trouble? Yash's grip on my hand tightened, a silent reassurance that he was there for me.

Meeting Yash's intense gaze, I saw a flicker of protectiveness in his eyes as they locked onto Kabir. Meanwhile, Kabir, seemingly sensing our attention, turned and offered a disarming smile. Excusing himself from the animated crowd, he made his way towards us, the persistent smile never leaving his face.

I hoped that Kabir's presence was genuinely rooted in happiness for me, but a subtle unease lingered. As he approached, the true nature of his intentions would soon unfold, and I could only hope for the best.

Kabir extended his hand, offering congratulations with a warm smile. Before I could reciprocate, Yash swiftly intervened, grasping Kabir's hand firmly in a congratulatory shake.

The smile on Kabir's face faded momentarily, caught off guard by the unexpected exchange, only to reappear a few seconds later as he regained composure.

Kabir's disapproval hung heavy in the air as he said, "Tara, I must admit, I'm disappointed in your choice for a future husband."

Surprised and hurt by his words, I responded, "Kabir, you have no right to say anything about my life after what you did."

Before Kabir could say more, Yash stepped forward, a stern look on his face. "If you have an issue, let's discuss it," he challenged.

Kabir scoffed, "I just expected better for Tara, that's all."

The tension escalated, words exchanged like verbal daggers. I tried to mediate, "Guys, please, let's not ruin this evening."

Yash's voice turned assertive, "I'm not the one who cheated on her, Kabir. You should be glad that you are still alive."

An uneasy silence settled, shattered by Kabir's rebuttal, "That's not true, Yash. I'll prove it."

"Kabir, maybe it's better if you leave for now," I suggested, a plea in my voice for a temporary reprieve from the escalating tension.

He nodded, a determined glint in his eyes, "Fine, I'll leave. But mark my words, Tara, I'll be back with proof of my innocence."

As Kabir exited, Yash watched him go, his gaze unwavering.

As time passed, the atmosphere at the engagement mellowed, and congratulations poured in from both sides of the family. Laughter and cheerful chatter filled the air as friends and relatives extended their warm wishes.

I caught sight of my father engaged in conversation with some of his friends, their smiles and nods reflecting the shared joy of the occasion. The room echoed with a vibrant energy, a celebration of the union that our families were witnessing.

Yash's friends, Rohit, Radha, and Naina, approached us with beaming smiles, showering us with heartfelt congratulations. Their warmth added to the joyous ambiance, creating a sense of shared celebration that transcended familial ties.

Anticipation tinged with a flicker of hope had me gazing towards the main door, expecting Rajveer's arrival. Instead, my eyes caught a vision of elegance embodied in a striking woman I had never seen before.

Draped in a black and golden saree, her hair cascading down in effortless waves, she exuded an air of celebration. A golden purse adorned her hand as she gracefully scanned the room. When her eyes met mine, a warm smile played on her lips, and she began making her way towards us.

Curiosity sparked, I turned to Yash, hoping for some insight into her identity. However, Yash's expression was a mix of surprise and skepticism. It was evident that he knew her, but not in the familiar sense of a relative or friend. His reaction seemed more like, "What the hell are you doing here?"

The mysterious girl extended a warm smile as she introduced herself, "Hi, I'm Maya. Congratulations on your engagement!"

I thanked her, appreciating the kind wishes. As our eyes met, she turned her attention to Yash, who seemed genuinely puzzled by her unexpected presence.

Yash inquired, "Maya, what are you doing here?"

She replied with a touch of playfulness, "I'm here to congratulate you. Finally settling down, huh? I won't lie, I hoped it would have been with me."

Yash's frustration surfaced, and he snapped at Maya, "Just shut your mouth, Maya. Stop talking rubbish!"

Her response carried a tone of defiance, "I thought you liked it open."

I was taken aback by the audacity of her words. The tension between them escalated, and Maya shifted her focus to me, an unsettling glint in her eyes. "Oh, so you're trying to act innocent in front of your fiancée. Well, I won't tell her where you were last night."

Yash's reaction was immediate, almost shouting, grabbing the attention of a few people in the crowd. "What the hell are you saying, Maya?"

She turned to me with a smug smile, declaring, "Yash was with me all night, and we had quite a lot of fun."

Yash's eyes pleaded with sincerity as he insisted, "Tara, she's lying. It's not true."

Conflicted thoughts swirled in my mind as Yash whispered something to Maya, and she smirked at me before following him into one of the rooms. My trust in Yash remained steadfast, but the unease lingered.

Curiosity tugged at me, urging me to follow and seek answers, to unravel the mystery behind Maya's deceit. Yet, a hesitant voice cautioned me to trust the bond we shared.