41.

The door creaked open, revealing the comforting sight of the backyard bathed in the soft glow of the moonlight. Relief flooded over me as I took in the familiar scene, eager to escape the confines of the dark room.

But just as I prepared to step outside, a faint whimper caught my attention, causing me to freeze in my tracks. I turned to Yash and Shrestha, a sense of urgency in my voice as I asked if they heard it too.

"What's wrong, Tara?" they questioned, their brows furrowed with concern.

"Did you hear that?" I asked, my senses on high alert.

Shrestha shook her head. "What are you talking about? We heard nothing. Let's go, Tara, before Rajveer comes."

But I couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. "No, I heard something," I insisted, my heart pounding in my chest. "Or maybe it was just my imagination."

Before anyone could respond, the sound came again, louder this time, emanating from the door to the right. Shrestha cautioned against opening it, warning of the unknown dangers that could lie beyond.

But I couldn't ignore the possibility that someone might be in need of help, just like us. "What if there's a person who needs help?" I reasoned, my hand already reaching for the door handle.

Without waiting for a response, I pushed the door open, the hinges groaning in protest. The room beyond was dimly lit, shadows dancing along the walls, but it was what lay in the corner that caught my attention.

Huddled against the wall was a figure, their form obscured by darkness. Another whimper escaped their lips as they shifted uncomfortably. My heart went out to them, and I took a hesitant step forward, my instincts urging me to help.

Yash and Shrestha exchanged worried glances, but I was determined to see if the person needed assistance. With each step, the figure became clearer, and my heart sank at the sight of their bruised and battered form.

"We need to help them," I said firmly, my voice echoing in the silence of the room.

Yash and Shrestha hesitated, but they knew I wouldn't leave without offering aid. Together, we approached the figure, ready to lend a helping hand to someone in need.

The figure stirred, and as they turned towards us, I recoiled in horror. It was a man, his face twisted in agony, his eyes pleading for mercy. He was bound and gagged, his body covered in bruises and welts.

Yash and Shrestha gasped in shock as they took in the scene before us, their faces pale with fear and revulsion.

"We have to help him," I said, my voice trembling with emotion. "He's in pain."

Shrestha hesitated, her eyes darting nervously around the room. "But Tara, we don't know who he is or what's going on here. It could be a trap."

Ignoring her protests, I stepped forward, determined to free the man from his torment. With trembling hands, I began to untie the ropes that bound him, my heart pounding with each tug.

As the last knot came undone, the man slumped forward, gasping for air. His eyes met mine, filled with gratitude and relief.

"Thank you," he whispered hoarsely. "Thank you for saving me."

As the man spoke, his words sent a chill down my spine. "Wait, I know you," I said, my voice trembling as I looked at him.

He began to cry, apologizing profusely. "I'm so sorry," he choked out. "Talking to you that day was the biggest mistake of my life."

Recognition dawned on me. He was the man from the park, the one who had harassed me and prompted Yash to intervene. But what was he doing here?

"What are you doing here?" I demanded, my voice filled with disbelief.

He hung his head, his voice barely above a whisper. "I've been here since then," he admitted. "And I'm so sorry."

My heart sank as he revealed the truth. "Who did this to you?" I asked looking at his bruises, my mind reeling with the horror of the situation.

He opened his mouth to respond but froze, his eyes widening in terror as he glanced over my shoulder. Before I could turn around to see what had startled him, he grabbed my face, desperation in his eyes as he pleaded for help.

Confusion turned to fear as I felt a presence behind me. Without warning, Yash was at my side, pushing the man away from me. I stumbled backward, my heart racing with fear as I realized the danger we were in.