27.

"Rajveer..."

I couldn't help but wonder if Rajveer overheard our conversation. The thought lingered, and I felt a twinge of concern that he might be upset by what he heard.

Yash approached Rajveer, questioning, "Do you need something, bhai?" Rajveer looked at me, puzzled. He replied, "Just came to check on you. It's quite late. You all should go and sleep now."

Relief washed over me, knowing Rajveer hadn't heard us.

Yash agreed, "Yes, we should." I nodded to Riya, wished both brother good night, and we retreated to our room.

                                 ~~~

As Yash and I strolled through the park during the evening, the setting sun casting a warm glow, it was meant to be a sort of date. Yet, my thoughts were consumed by Rajveer – not Yash's real brother and seemingly harboring an unsettling obsession with me.

The rustle of leaves and distant laughter of other park-goers faded into the background as I grappled with the complexities of Rajveer's presence. Yash, beside me, sensed my distraction, and the conversation flowed in bits and pieces, interrupted by my mind's relentless return to the enigma that was Rajveer.

"Hey, Tara, everything okay?" Yash's concerned voice cut through my thoughts.

I managed a faint smile. "Yeah, I'm fine, just a bit distracted."

He gently touched my arm. "You know you can share anything with me, right? Worry, problems – I'm here."

I appreciated his concern, but as I looked into his eyes, I knew that some secrets were better kept for the time being. "Thanks, Yash. I appreciate it," I replied, silently acknowledging that not every burden needed to be shared, especially when it concerned the brother he held so dear.

As Kabir clasped my hand, a sudden collision with a passerby jolted me. I teetered on the verge of stumbling, but Kabir's quick reflexes ensured my stability.

Yash's stern voice cut through the chaotic atmosphere, "Watch your step, buddy! You're stumbling around like a mess."

The drunken man slurred his words, retorting with a smirk, "No worries, big guy. I've mastered the art of walking."

Yash, unimpressed, warned him, "You're testing my patience."

Spotting me nearby, the man's tone turned crude, "Well, well, looks like the hero's got a pretty lady. Wonder how that happened!"

Yash's eyes flared with irritation, "Mind your own business. Keep moving before things get unpleasant."

As we stood alone in the park, Yash and I prepared to leave, but our exit was abruptly halted. The drunk man, fueled by audacity, clamped onto my wrist, jerking me toward him with an unsettling force. I felt a sudden surge of vulnerability, and Yash's protective instinct kicked in. He shot the man a fierce glare and demanded, "Let go of her."

Ignoring Yash's command, the man leered at me, "A beauty like you shouldn't be with this guy. How about a real man, sweetheart?"

Yash's grip on my hand tightened, his eyes aflame with anger. I could sense an impending clash in the air.

Fear prickled through me as I sensed the man's questionable intentions, but a comforting wave of relief washed over when I remembered Yash was by my side. Swiftly pulling my hand away from the drunk man's grasp, I retreated towards Yash, seeking refuge in his protective presence. The reassuring warmth of Yash's hand enveloped mine, a silent promise that he wouldn't let any harm befall me.

"We can share her if that is your taste, man!"

The guy's audacious words hung in the air, insinuating a twisted proposition, and in an instant, Yash's grip on my hand vanished. Without hesitation, Yash unleashed a powerful punch, the impact resonating as the guy crumpled to the ground. It was a swift and forceful response, an unspoken declaration that he would fiercely protect me from any threat.

Yash's fists swung through the air, hitting the drunken guy hard. Each punch had a purpose – to protect me. The guy tried to fight back, but Yash was too quick, dodging his moves effortlessly.

Yash landed a powerful kick, making the guy stumble backward. The struggle continued, Yash's determination evident in every punch and kick. The park echoed with the sounds of the scuffle, a fierce battle between protector and aggressor.

"Yash! Please stop!"

Despite the chaos, Yash remained focused, ensuring the safety of both of us. The fight reached its peak as Yash's strength overpowered the drunken guy. Finally, with a forceful punch, Yash subdued the aggressor, leaving him defeated on the ground.

Fear gripped me as I watched Yash, his actions becoming more intense. He paused momentarily, and I hoped it was the end, but his gaze shifted. Yash picked up an iron rod from the ground, and my heart sank.

The scene unfolded before me as he continued his assault. The harsh reality of the situation hit me – the fear that Yash might take things too far, fueled by anger and the desire to protect. I felt helpless, torn between the instinct to stop him and the understanding that he was acting out of concern for our safety.

"Yash!"

My voice echoed through the park as I shouted for Yash to stop. He froze, the iron rod dropping from his hands. My gaze shifted from the beaten man to Yash, realizing the extent of the violence that had unfolded. Fear gripped me, not just of the drunken guy but also of the man before me, who seemed like a different person at that moment.

Yash started moving toward me, concern etched on his face, but I couldn't bring myself to face him. I gestured for him to stay back, still processing the aftermath of what had transpired. The worry on Yash's face deepened as he halted, respecting my silent plea.

"Please, do not follow me!"
I could see the protest in his eyes but he still stayed in his position. I started moving towards the exit of the park. I didn't know where I was going but I needed to get away from him. Anywhere but next to him.