42.

The man fell backward, crashing into a table and shattering a vase. The sound of breaking glass echoed through the room. Before I could react, several well-built men burst into the room, their presence imposing.

"Sir, are you alright?" one of them asked, addressing Yash.

My mind struggled to comprehend the scene unfolding before me. "What...?" I stammered, my confusion evident.

Yash stepped forward, his expression one of authority and calm. "I'm fine," he said, his voice steady. "Secure him."

The men quickly moved to restrain the man who had been pleading for help. He struggled briefly but soon gave up, his eyes filled with defeat.

I turned to Yash, my thoughts racing. "What's going on? Who are these people?"

Yash didn't reply to my question, his silence heavy with unspoken tension. Suddenly, my phone started ringing in my back pocket. The realization hit me—I had my phone with me all along. Yash's eyes widened in anger, and he shot a furious glance at Shrestha.

I pulled out my phone and saw Rajveer's name flashing on the screen. Yash immediately said, "Don't answer it," his voice tight with urgency. I nodded, but something compelled me to pick up the call. It was stupid, but I did it anyway.

"Tara! Where are you? We're all worried," Rajveer's voice crackled through the speaker, sounding genuinely concerned.

I was taken aback. Rajveer worried about me? How could that be? "Rajveer, what—"

Before I could finish my sentence, Yash snatched the phone from my hand and cut the call. He threw the phone across the floor, and it snapped upon impact. I screamed at the sudden and violent change in Yash's demeanor.

"Are you stupid, Shrestha? I told you to take all her personal belongings. How could you forget her damn phone?" he shouted, really shouted, his voice echoing in the room.

Shrestha trembled, her face pale. "I'm sorry, Yash. I'm so sorry," she repeated, her voice barely above a whisper.

Yash ran his hands through his hair, clearly frustrated. I stood there, confused and scared. "What the hell is going on?" I demanded, my voice shaking.

Yash turned to me, his eyes softening for a moment before hardening again. "Tara, I need you to trust me. Rajveer is dangerous, more dangerous than you realize. We can't let him know where we are."

"But why?" I asked, my confusion growing. "Why would he be after us?"

Shrestha stepped forward, her voice trembling. "Tara, Rajveer isn't who you think he is. He's been using the Singhania name to cover his tracks. My mother's friend saw him start the fire that killed two people when he was just a child. It was an accident, but he didn't show any remorse. When she tried to expose him, she was hunted down. If Rajveer finds out that she's still alive, he'll kill her, and us too."

Yash sighed, looking at me with a mix of frustration and concern. "He's trying to eliminate anyone who stands in his way, including me. He wants the company, Tara. He's willing to do anything to get it."

I was lost in a whirlwind of emotions. Yash's behavior had shifted so dramatically, swinging from terrifying to oddly calm. His deep sigh drew my attention, and he moved closer, his hands reaching for my face. "I can't do this anymore," he muttered, his grip firm but not painful. "Tara, I need you to understand that whatever I did, I did it for us."

His words made no sense, and confusion clouded my mind. Then, suddenly, the pieces started falling into place. My hands trembled as the realization hit me. "It wasn't Rajveer, but..."

"Yes, me," Yash interrupted, releasing my face and shouting. He laughed maniacally, a twisted smile spreading across his face. "Finally, it's out. I've been carrying this for so long. Yes, Tara, it was me all along. Not my brother." He spat out the word 'brother' with disgust.

My head spun with disbelief. How could Yash, the person I trusted, be behind all this?

I need to get out from here. I glanced at the gap between Yash and Shrestha, considering the possibility of escape. Yash, noticing my intent, narrowed his eyes. "Don't even think about it, Tara."

Desperation fueled my decision. I bolted, hoping to reach the door, but Yash's hand shot out, his grip like iron as he pulled me back, holding me in place. I screamed at the top of my lungs, "Leave me, Yash!"

"I can't," he replied, his voice cold and determined. "It will sting a little," he added, pulling out a syringe.

"No!" I screamed, struggling against him. But Yash was too strong, and I felt the sharp prick of the needle in my neck.

"Shh, you can take a nap, my love," Yash whispered, stroking my hair soothingly as the darkness began to close in.

My vision blurred, and my limbs grew heavy. There was only one name in my mind as consciousness slipped away.

Rajveer.