023: idiots in love

The bell rings and the teacher tries to finish what he was saying before concluding the class. But some of the students from the back start to slam their books shut and pack their stuff. Some even go as far as making not-so-subtle noises to signify their diminishing patience.

The teacher sighs heavily and adjusts his glasses. He then says, "Guess we'll have to continue it next class. You may leave now."

I feel so bad for teachers in moments like these. Like, how hard is it to sit a minute longer? Sometimes I feel like teaching is the most difficult job. I don't ever want to be a teacher. Just thinking about trying to manage a room full of teenagers makes me shudder. Which says a lot since I'm a teenager myself, yet I still feel uneasy whenever I have to walk past a group of teenagers.

Everyone begins to shuffle out of the classroom as soon as they can, while Sarah and I trail behind in no hurry. It is lunch break now. Who would be excited for the cafeteria's dull meal? Not me. Speaking of which, Theo's cooking has quickly become my favourite. Everything he makes tastes so good. I'm convinced he is secretly a chef. How else can someone cook that well?

Yup, that must be it. He's a chef. And a vampire. Always lurking in the dark and taking showers so late at night. Wait, could he really be a vampire?

"Someone looks happy today," Sarah chirps from beside me.

"Who?" I ask her, looking around to see who she is referring to, before facing her.

"You, idiot." She rolls her eyes at me playfully. "You're the one who is smiling."

"Oh." I didn't realise I was smiling. I was trying to picture Theo with fangs in my mind.

"Yeah, oh." She laughs lightly. "In fact, you've been doing that a lot lately. Smiling and looking so happy all the time."

'I have?'

"Oh, come on. Don't look so confused now." Sarah nudges me with her shoulder gently. "I'm happy to see you like this. You should keep smiling."

She gives me a wide grin and I don't know what to say to her. Thinking about Theo does make me feel happy from the inside, but I didn't realise I was expressing it on the outside, too. Which is new for me. Because I have heard Sarah saying how some people have a resting bitch face. Meanwhile I think I have a resting bored face.

"But I am curious, though. About what got you smiling like that," she says. "Or should I say who?" She wiggles her eyebrows at me suggestively.

"What are you talking about?" I frown at her. "I just smiled a little and you're trying to make it about something." I huff, not wanting to be the subject of discussion anymore.

Once we get inside the school's cafeteria, we get in line behind everyone to get food from the lunch lady.

"I'm not trying to do anything," Sarah says as she moves forward in the line. "I'm just saying what I'm seeing. And trust me, Amy. I know this look very well."

I knit my brows together upon hearing her words and sigh to myself as I move forward with her.

"What look?" I ask, completely uninterested in whatever she would be spouting next.

Once our tray is filled, Sarah searches for our usual table and walks towards it. I follow her closely from behind.

"Oh, you know, the same look that Noah has on his face whenever he sees you." She sits in front of me and across the table. The chairs next to us are left empty for the boys. "The look that screams that you are in love." She giggles to herself, finding humour at what she just said, and starts eating.