036: stolen kiss

[warning: mentions of blood and injury]

Something isn't right.

I can't quite put my finger on it. But I can feel that something is off with Theo. I mean, he is still as affectionate as ever. Doting on me whenever we are alone. But I can tell that something has been bothering him for the past few days. He seems so distant when he's by himself, having a far off look in his eyes.

He always seems to be in deep thought. And I can't help but wonder what has gotten him so worried. But whenever I call out his name, he immediately puts a smile on his face and acts like his usual self. But I don't want him to pretend that everything is okay just for my mental peace. Does that mean he doesn't trust me with sharing his problems? Surely, he doesn't think that I won't understand him, right?

And lately, he has been getting phone calls frequently. He excuses himself to attend the call, and after the conversation, he looks distressed. It's the same every time. And at times when he isn't talking to someone over call, he is constantly checking his phone. As if expecting any message or something of the sort to pop up on his screen.

I don't know how much longer I can stay mum about it, though. Pretending like I can't tell the difference in his changed behaviour. Because I am this close to confronting him about it. I don't know what our relationship is, but one thing I know for sure is that I care about him. A lot. More than I can ever come to care for myself.

Blinking a couple of times, I close the laptop in front of me. I rub my temples in slight frustration because I haven't been able to focus on a single word on the screen for the last twenty minutes. This has been a recurring phenomenon for me, too. Thinking back to Theo and having a swarm of possibilities cloud my mind over what could really be going on with him.

And all this thinking has got me feeling kinda hungry now. I think it's best if I take a break and head downstairs to see if I can find anything to snack on. Since it's still pretty early for dinner to be ready yet.

I plug my phone to charge and leave my room. I walk down the stairs, and once I reach the living room, I see that the television is on but no one is there, watching. Shrugging, I enter the kitchen and find my brother taking a look into the refrigerator.

"Hey," I say. "Is dinner ready yet? I'm starving."

Adrien closes the refrigerator door after taking out a handful of stuffs and turns to look at me. "I was just getting started on it." He sets the various items on top of the kitchen counter and motions towards the cookie jar. "You can have that while you wait."

"Oh, uh..." I narrow my eyes at the chocolate chip cookies and shake my head, not being in the mood for anything sweet. "I think I can manage," I say, to which Adrien responds with a hum. "So, um, you're cooking tonight?"

"Yeah, Theo has been cooking most of the time since he got here. So I figured I'll make something tonight."

"That makes sense." I fold my arms over my chest. It's always either Theo or Adrien cooking, since I don't know how to cook a proper meal. And when Dad is home, he cooks for the three of us.

"Besides, what would Dad think if he found out that we've been making his friend's son cook for us?" Adrien laughs lightly to himself, finding humour in his own joke.

"Do you need any help?" I ask.

"No, I'm good," he replies, beginning to slice the mushrooms. "You can go watch the TV. I was watching a soccer match."

After a lot of convincing, he finally relents on letting me help, giving me the task of chopping the vegetables. Adrien holds the knife out to me cautiously. "Be careful with it," he warns.