Season 2 Episode 2. Hashira training begins

Soon, the demon slayer corps began a type of training called hashira training. It was a special kind of training where those ranked lower than hashira trained with the hashira, one after the other. Training with corps members one after the other would ideally improve the respective hashira's skills as well, and sharing what's been learned among all corps members would raise the overall strength of the demon slayer corps itself.

The hashira training began with physical fitness workouts with the former Sound Hashira, Tengen Uzui. It was followed by lessons from the Mist Hashira, Muichiro Tokito, in high speed movement. Next came lessons from the Serpent Hashira, Obanai Ijuro, in swordsmanship. Then came lessons in making infinite strikes from the Wind Hashira, Sanemi Shinazugawa. After that, strength training with the Stone Hashira, Gyomei Himejima. Finally, they would get endurance lessons from the Ice Hashira, Kimi Kazuyuki.

The hashira were all supposed to participate in hashira training, although Giyu Tomioka and Shinobu Kocho skipped out on it, oddly enough.

...

As soon as Tanjiro was fully healed, he began physical fitness workouts with the former Sound Hashira, Tengen Uzui. After about 10 days, he received permission to go to the site of the next hashira.

...

The next hashira was the Mist Hashira, Muichiro Tokito. When Tanjiro arrived at Muichiro's mansion, he began his training in high speed movements. After 5 days, he received permission to go to the site of the next hashira, which was the Serpent Hashira, Obanai Iguro.

...

"I'm going to have you swing your sword while avoiding these obstacles," Obanai said, motioning to people that were tied to the walls.

"Is this an execution chamber!?" Tanjiro asked frantically. "Did these people commit some sort of crime!?"

"Yes, that's right," Obanai said. "The crime of being weak! The crime of not learning! The crime of being a pain in the butt! The crime of irritating me!"

And so the training began. Tanjiro used a wooden sword, but hitting any of the people would still cause great injury. Obanai's attacks weaved through the holes in the walls, between the corps members. Because of his style, his attacks bend in strange ways, slithering through narrow openings, like a snake.

"I can hear them pleading for me not to hit them! I can hear them and it breaks my heart!" Tanjiro thought. "If I'm not incredibly accurate, it'll be a disaster!"

...

After four days, Tanjiro was able to strike more accurately than ever before. He was able to dodge Obanai's attacks and perform his own attacks as well. When an attack struck Obanai's haori and cut it, Obanai said that his training was over, and sent him to the next hashira, which was the Wind Hashira, Sanemi Shinazugawa.

...

Hashira training gave Genya the opportunity to talk to his older brother, and Genya was taking it. After a long day of training, he attempted to talk to Sanemi.

"I want to speak with you," Genya said.

"You just don't give up," Sanemi said. "I don't have a little brother. If you don't shut up, I'll kill you!"

"But..." Genya trailed off.

"From what I've seen, you have no talent!" Sanemi said. "Just quit the demon slayer corps. Someone who can't even use breathing shouldn't call himself a swordsman."

Sanemi turned around and started walking away.

"Wait!" Genya said. "I've wanted to apologize to you for a long time."

"Seriously, I don't care," Sanemi said, waving his hand at Genya dismissively as he walked away. "Get lost."

"But... I fought so hard!" Genya pleaded. "I even ate a demon!"

Sanemi stopped and turned around.

"What? What did you just say?" Sanemi asked. "A demon? You ATE one?"

Sanemi disappeared.

"Genya! Look out!" Genya heard Tanjiro yell.

Tanjiro shoved Genya out of the way as Sanemi attacked him. Tanjiro and Genya both crashed through the wall and outside. Sanemi followed them.

"What are you doing!?" Tanjiro yelled. "Do you want to kill Genya!?"

"I'm not going to kill him, that's against corps rules," Sanemi said. "I'll damage him beyond recovery instead! However, if he quits the demon slayer corps right now, I'll forgive him."

"You don't have the right to do that! You can't force him to quit! You said earlier that you didn't have a little brother, right!? So keep your mouth shut about what Genya chooses!" Tanjiro yelled. "Whether he has talent or not, he has decided to risk his life to destroy demons! If you're not his older brother, then I won't let you interfere with Genya, and I definitely won't let you damage him beyond recovery!"

"Then first I'll damage YOU beyond recovery!" Sanemi said.

Sanemi rushed toward Tanjiro and attempted to punch him in the chest, but Tanjiro stopped Sanemi with his hand. Tanjiro broke free of Sanemi's grasp and jumped back to put some distance between him and Sanemi. Tanjiro looked over at Zenitsu.

"Zenitsu!" Tanjiro called. "Get Genya out of here, please!"

"Tanjiro!" Genya yelled. "Look out!"

Sanemi attempted to attack Tanjiro again, and Tanjiro just barely dodged.

"You've got some nerve!" Sanemi said. "It seems you want to die, so I'll just kill you like you want."

"Wait!" Genya called. "Tanjiro has nothing to do with this!"

Zenitsu grabbed Genya by the hand and they ran as far away from Sanemi as possible.

"Who are you!? Let me go!" Genya said.

"Tanjiro told me to get you away from him!" Zenitsu said. "It's good to separate people who are fighting, so let's get some distance!"

The fight continued until nearly nighttime.

Tanjiro was thoroughly scolded, and suspended from training with Sanemi. He was forbidden from even approaching him. And with the training suspended, Tanjiro and the other corps members that had gotten involved in the fight moved on to train with Gyomei.

...

Tanjiro and Zenitsu were walking through the woods, trying to find Gyomei's house.

"I didn't mean for this to happen," Tanjiro said. "If anything, I made things worse between the Shinazugawa brothers."

"What do you mean?" Zenitsu asked. "You stood up to the Wind Hashira. That's incredible."

"Oh, um, thanks," Tanjiro said.

"Anyway, why do we have to travel so deep in the woods!?" Zenitsu whined. "How stupid is the Stone Hashira to have his house out here!?"

"I think we're almost there," Tanjiro said.

They soon approached a waterfall, and they heard voices.

"Someone's there!" Tanjiro said.

They noticed multiple demon slayer corps members were standing under the waterfall.

"If you extinguish your heart and mind, even fire is cool," Gyomei said, standing in a ring of fire. "Welcome to my training site."