Season 1 Episode 4. Endurance training with the Ice Hashira

Kimi Kazuyuki's endurance lessons took place in a snowy mountain range. It was farther, and harder to reach than the sites of the other hashira.

However, it was not the Kazuyuki Mountains. The Kazuyuki Mountains would have been best for endurance training, but needed to be kept top secret. They were also surrounded by natural barriers, and extremely far from the rest of society. For these reasons, the training was held in a different snowy mountain range.

This mountain range was called the Kiyomi Mountains. Kimi owned a complex of buildings at the bottom known as "Basecamp". It was where all corps members sent to undertake his endurance training were supposed to report to.

Kimi was in his office, sharpening his sword.

His sword gleamed light blue, and almost appeared to be glowing. It was cold to the touch, just like any sword forged using the Ice Imbuing Technique.

He heard someone knocking on the door of his office.

"Come in," Kimi said.

It was a kinoe rank demon slayer corps member that Kimi recognized.

"I finished climbing up and down Lomi Mountain," Mishi said.

"I assume you brought proof?" Kimi asked.

Mishi nodded. He held out his hand to reveal one of the blue stones found only at the top of Lomi Mountain.

Kimi took it out of Mishi's hand and examined it.

"I see," Kimi said. "Well then, your hashira training is complete."

"Thank you, Kazuyuki-dono," Mishi said.

Mishi bowed and left, closing the door behind him.

Not too long later, there was another knock at the door.

"Come in," Kimi said.

It was Tanjiro, Inosuke, and Genya.

"So you finished training with the Stone Hashira?" Kimi asked.

"Yeah, we did," Inosuke replied.

"Then today is your first day of training with me," Kimi said.

Tanjiro bowed.

"I look forward to training with you, Kazuyuki-dono!" Tanjiro exclaimed.

"Let's go outside and I'll explain what's required to pass my endurance training," Kimi said.

Kimi led them outside the building. It was snowing. Not heavily, but a beautiful and light snowfall.

"My training consists of three parts," Kimi said. "First, you must withstand the temperatures outside for 24 hours without protective gear."

"That could kill us," Genya said.

"Members of the Kazuyuki Clan such as myself can withstand the outside temperatures without protective gear for unlimited amounts of time," Kimi said. "For the rest of you, I can assure you that experience, training, and hard work can get you the ability to withstand 24 hours."

"Let's give it our best effort, Genya!" Tanjiro said. "I know we can do it!"

"I hope you're right," Genya said.

"Second, you must survive fighting me for 12 hours straight, throughout the night, without breaks," Kimi said.

"You're so much stronger than us," Inosuke said.

"So is Muzan," Kimi said. "However, I won't be using my full power. I expect you to hold out for at least 12 hours, and it must be at night. If you're fighting a demon you can't defeat, having the ability to endure 12 hours against them could be very useful."

"I think I know why!" Tanjiro said. "You could use a skill like that to stall a demon until the sun comes up!"

"Precisely," Kimi said. "That's why it's 12 hours. The night is 12 hours long, so it's important for a demon slayer to be able to endure a fight against a powerful opponent for at least that long."

"Kazuyuki-dono, I have a question," Tanjiro said. "You want us to be able to endure a fight against a powerful opponent for at least 12 hours, which made me wonder how long you can endure a fight against a powerful opponent?"

"The longest I've had to endure is 24 hours," Kimi replied. "I may have the capacity to go longer than that, but I don't know because I've never had to and I probably never will."

"You said the training consists of three parts," Genya said. "What's the third one?"

"You must climb up and down Lomi mountain," Kimi said. "You are allowed to bring climbing gear and weapons but not protection from the environment or the temperature. When you plan to leave you must notify me so I can ensure everything you are bringing is permitted. You must bring back a blue stone from the top as proof that you actually climbed to the summit."

"Understood!" Tanjiro said.

"Now for a few important notes," Kimi said. "I will not be forcing the training on you. I do not have the time to MAKE you train. However, your training with me is not complete until you complete these three tasks. For the time that you are doing endurance training with me, you will stay here in the Kiyomi Mountains."

"We'll do our very best!" Tanjiro exclaimed enthusiastically.

Tanjiro, Inosuke, and Genya left, leaving Kimi only with his thoughts.

"I sense a massive battle coming soon," Kimi thought. "We must be on our guard."