Season 3 Episode 1. Giyu and Tanjiro fight Akaza

Tanjiro almost fell onto the ground and died, but Giyu caught him before he hit the ground.

"Thank you," Tanjiro said.

Tanjiro and Giyu began looking around, for a way out. They had fallen into the same place in the Infinity Castle.

The Infinity Castle was a strange place. Up and down and left and right were all mixed up, and it was hard to tell them from each other.

After a long while of searching the Infinity Castle, Tanjiro and Giyu heard a kasugai crow alerting people that Shinobu and Kanao had died fighting upper rank 2, but they had done a number on the upper rank before their death, and Inosuke was able to finish them off.

Tanjiro was saddened when hearing of the news of Shinobu and Kanao's deaths, but was happy that their efforts, combined with Inosuke's, managed to take the life of upper rank 2.

It wasn't long before Giyu and Tanjiro encountered an upper rank themselves. They encountered upper rank 3, Akaza. They recognized each other immediately.

"Water Breathing, third form," Giyu breathed deeply. "Flowing dance!"

Giyu attacked Akaza multiple times with incredible speed.

"The water hashira? Excellent!" Akaza said. "It's been 50 years since I last encountered one before now."

"Water Breathing, eleventh form," Giyu breathed deeply. "Dead calm!"

Giyu attacked Akaza again.

"I've never seen that technique," Akaza said. "The last water hashira I killed didn't use it."

"Hinokami kagura," Tanjiro breathed deeply. "Raging sun!"

Tanjiro jumped at Akaza with his sword, attempting but failing to decapitate him.

Akaza appeared to disappear, and then appeared behind Tanjiro, attempting to strike him. However, just in time, Giyu sliced off Akaza's arm using Water Breathing's second form, water wheel.

Akaza regenerated it immediately, but Tanjiro was able to avoid his attack.

"What elegant and developed sword technique!" Akaza said, fighting Giyu. "What is your name? I want to remember it!"

"I don't have a name to tell you, and I hate talking," Giyu said. "Don't bother asking."

"You hate talking? Well I like it!" Akaza said. "I'm going to ask your name over and over until you tell me!"

Akaza struck Giyu, sending him flying through the wall.

"Tomioka-san!" Tanjiro called.

Tanjiro attacked Akaza at the same time Akaza attacked him. Tanjiro was repelled backward.

"You're trained well to reach this level so quickly," Akaza said. "That night when we first met, you were a total weakling. But look at you now, your growth is stunning! To be completely honest, I'm glad Kyojuro died that night. He might not have been able to grow any stronger, because his worthless values made him want to stay a human."

"You... don't say another word," Tanjiro seethed with anger. "Don't talk about him."

"Why?" Akaza asked. "I'm praising you both."

"No, you're just casting insults," Tanjiro said. "You despise us."

"You misunderstand, I only insult weaklings," Akaza said. "I despise weaklings. It's the law of nature that they rot and die."