The Darkened Highway Chapter Twenty-Nine

After leaving the bedroom, I went to the driver's cabin to sit with Ben. What did we just do in the shower? It was all that my mind could think about. Why did we do that to each other? I wanted to tell him that I felt something special for him, but I was too scared to say it out loud. I just wanted to stay in the moment and enjoy what was happening between us. I knew that I would never forget this moment. My behavior confused me, and I reflected on what happened. I looked back at Tessa as she cuddled up on the couch. Before I had the chance to tell her she could sleep in the bed, she was asleep. She must have been beyond tired. Closing my eyes, I sniffed the air, and her sweet scent was still on my lips and nose. I took a deep breath of her perfume, and my body warmed from the sensation of her smell, and I opened my eyes. Ben noticed me staring at Tessa.

"Hey Hannah, are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I said, looking at him.

His expression changed the moment I looked into his eyes.

"You've got this kind of glow to your eyes."

"What?" I replied, looking at the overhead mirror. The sight of my eyes with that golden hue was stunning. Was I changing again? If so, what am I changing into?

"It must be the light."

"You look different."

"How-How so?" I stuttered.

"For starters, your chest is bigger than it was a few days ago. Not to mention your ass is bigger and perkier, too. It's not from weight gain either, and you seem to be fitter than you were."

"Well, it must be from all this running around I've been doing."

"Maybe. But maybe it's not."

"Hey, I'm tired. Let's get some sleep. We hadn't slept all night. I mean, at least a few hours before it's night again."

"Good idea, honey!"

Ben set the autopilot again, and we went back to the bedroom. I waited in bed for him while he took a quick shower. I can't imagine what Tessa went through. The way she was bound up was like she was being used as some kind of slave. Why did the beast just leave her? Did he know I was close, or did he smell the creature that pursued me on my body? I don't have the answers to these questions, but I need to find out for all our sake. I snuggled under the cover. Tessa had lost the one person she loved in this world. We have to protect her! We're all going to make it out of here safely. I need to keep her safe.

I steeled myself for the journey ahead, determined to find the answers. I embraced the darkness and set out to find the truth. I could feel the danger all around me, but I had to be brave. I had to find the answers and protect Tessa. I was determined to succeed, no matter the cost. Ben and I were her only hope in a world of uncertainty, and I knew that I had to do whatever it took to keep her safe. I could feel the fear and uncertainty in my heart, but I was determined to stay strong and find the answers. I was willing to risk everything to ensure Tessa was safe and uncover the truth.

Ben exited the shower with a towel wrapped around his waist. He quickly changed into a dark gray t-shirt and blue boxers. Ben crawled beside me, putting his arms around me and hugging me from behind. It felt so good having Ben cuddle up to me, and for the first time since getting lost in this forest, I had a feeling of safety. He didn't understand what was happening, but he did his best to do everything he could to ensure we were safe. I knew he would do the same for Tessa. She needed someone to protect her now, and Ben was a miracle for her. He would take care of her the way he took care of me, and he wouldn't let anything happen to her. When he saw us both naked in the forest, he didn't hesitate to take her in and accept her. She was with us now, and she was a part of us. I frowned as Ben snuggled up to me. Why did I think she was a part of us? What did that mean? I found her, but what is the meaning of 'she is with us?