The Darkened Highway Chapter Thirty

The light shining through the rear window woke me up. Ben and Tessa were still asleep. I carefully crawled out of bed. Happy greeted me as my feet touched the floor. He obsessively licked my toes and feet before hopping on the bed and doing the same to her. He'd taken a liking to Tessa as well. Was it because of what happened last night? We had been together most of the day and all night. It was the most passionate love I had ever had with Ben. Then there was Tessa, a beautiful girl I found in the forest. She provoked me in a way no other female had, and how she carried herself was intoxicating. I'd never been with a female, let alone been with one twice on the same day. I even shared my boyfriend with her, which felt normal. She was intense and passionate. What am I saying? I was as fierce and passionate as she was. We were like animals mating, and then it came to me. Had Tessa been in her period when she first came here? My chance to ask her came quickly. Happy's licking had woken her.

"Hey Tessa," I said.

She looked at me, then at Ben. For a moment, she seemed surprised.

"I'm so sorry, Hannah!" she exclaimed as she gazed at the two of us.

"What? Oh, that. I can't blame you since I encouraged you." I said.

"I don't know what came over me," Tessa whispered.

"Yeah, same here. It was like a drive that drew me to you." I admitted.

I sensed she was uncomfortable. We continued our conversation in the driver's cabin.

"Tessa, when were you in your period? You know. I don't know how to explain this. When he revealed himself to you?" I questioned.

"Yes, I was, and I have been having it for a while now. I don't know how or why," Tessa replied.

"Did you notice any physical changes?" I asked more.

"My breasts and butt grew two, maybe three sizes. I noticed my body was more fit and muscular. I've never worked out a day in my life, but I knew I was stronger."

"This is unbelievable. What are they and what do they want from us?"

"All I can claim is I know they desire us and it's a primal need. I know that neither of them will stop until they possess us. That is... unless they kill one another."

"You said you knew of another one?"

"I never saw him, but I got his scent once. I instantly knew what he was."

"How are we able to smell these scents?"

"It's part of the change. First comes your sense of smell. Then your hearing improves, and finally sight and touch. That's when the connection or bond with him is complete."

"Is it permanent?"

"I dunno, but once it starts..." Tessa trailed off.

"But I don't understand how it could happen."

"He can do things to my mind. At first, he made me see things. Then he would do things to me when he had me alone. Small things at first."

"The one stalking me caused me to see things."

"They make you see something familiar when it's them."

"What are they then?"

"He's a man, yet he's not. He can be a beast when he wants to. I never saw it happen, but I heard him change a few times."

"Like a werewolf?"

"I dunno. Clarence thought that silver would hurt him, but it didn't. The silver knife my grandma gave me didn't even make him flinch. Clarence thought we needed a bullet after that. So we melted the sliver the best we could into bullets. That didn't work either."