Mister Popular (re-written)

Natsu's POV

I waited by my locker, like I always do. Waiting for her to walk by. I kept scanning the hall when I finally noticed her walking in. Beaming I began walking up to her, "Hey Luceee!!!" I smiled at her. Barely acknowledging me she kept her pace, "What do you want Natsu?" Lucy Heartfilia is the girl of my dream, she has been for the past four years, though it wasn't until recently that I've gotten the guts to talk to her, however...

"I was just wonder-""I charge 15 dollars an hour for tutoring. 20 dollars on the weekend because my time is precious and I could be doing a million other things." I stopped walking and she continued. Not even looking back at me once.

I snarled, she didn't even look back at me! I was THE Natsu Dragneel. The biggest heart throb this school has ever known, yet I can't seem to get the attention of the one person I want. It's like I forget what to say when I'm around her plus, I'm met with the same response nearly everytime. I shoved my hands in my pocket, defeated once again as I began sulking. "What's up with you flamebrain?" I looked up, it was Gray Fullbuster, long time frienemy.

After explaining the situation Gray tsked, "Moron you're not gonna get a girl like Lucy by using those tactics. Come on now, she uses her" he pointed at his head. Lucy was smart. Crazy smart. I nodded soaking in everything Gray was telling me. "Maybe go back a couple steps and start with Lucy's friend, Levy. I'm sure she'll be able to help you a ton." That was a smart idea. "You're right! That's about the smartest thing I've ever heard you say Gray. I didn't know you had it in you buddy." A tick mark appeared on Grays forehead as he smacked me behind the head. Shit that hurt. I rubbed the back of my head, "Let's get to class ash for brains."

Time skip to lunch

I was in line at the cafeteria when someone lightly poked my back, I turned and instantly smiled as I processed who it was, "Luce!" She looked nervous, "Natsu can we talk?" Immediately I placed my tray of food down and nodded. "Somewhere more private..." she began walking and I followed closely behind. Soon enough we made it to the Janitors closet. Shutting the door I blushed at the amount of space in here. We were about 5 inches apart at most, I felt my heart beginning to race.

"I-is it just me or..." I grabbed my scarf pulling it away from my neck. It was getting hot in here. She sighed, "it's a tight space, I'm sorry." I looked down at her and the way her eyes focused on me nearly made me fall to my knees. I need to get a grip. Come on Natsu, get your shit together.

"Natsu who put you up to this?" The room filled with nervous jitters faded quickly into confusion instead. I raised a brow at her, she hesitated but continued "Natsu if you're trying to win some type of bet, or something stupid like that I swear I will never talk to you again." My eyes widened, "Lucy what are you talking about?" Did she really think that little of me? She thinks I'd use her to win some type of bet or deal?

"Why do you keep trying to talk to me. I never pay attention to you so why? If I'm just some part in a game you're partaking in then please stop." I was stunned. She really did think that little of me...

"Lucy..." I lowered myself, to the best of my ability, to meet her eye to eye. "I would never do such a thing. And for you to even slightly consider that? I would be lying if I said it didn't hurt a bit." I grabbed her hand and gave it a squeeze, "I am not partaking in no such thing. I promise you." She kept her eyes on mine, she was biting the inside of her cheek, a habit she does when she's thinking. Finally she sighed and put her hand on her forehead as she looked down. "I believe you."

For a second it was quiet, I was relieved that she believed me. "I'm sorry Natsu... it's just, I'm not used to that type of attention. There always seemed to have been an alternative motive behind that type of behavior towards me in the past. I'm sorry." I shook my head smiling, "Don't apologize Luce, I get it." She smiled at me. "Thank you... what's all that about anyways?"

I chuckle nervously, "Lucy..." I was hesitant. What if she laughs at me. Or worse yet gets the ick. How am I supposed to live with myself after that. I shivered at the thought. I looked at her as she waited expectantly. And seemingly all those thoughts disappeared. Lucy would never do that. "I like you Lucy." I brought my hand up to her cheek, smiling as I took in every last detail. I know I was blushing, I could feel the warmth on my face. But this felt right.

"Y-you do!?" She stammered, a blush taking over her face. She looked surprised, why? How could anyone look at her and not immediately fall for her. Lucy practically glowed with beauty. I chuckled lightly, "Yes... I have for a while now. I just never knew how to go about it..." I looked away from her, feeling somewhat embarrassed now. How could she have so much power over me.

"N-natsu..." she was at a loss for words. But yet her eyes beamed with wonder. I leaned in, kissed her on the forehead gently and said, "We can take things slow Luce... I want to give this... us, a try. What do you say?" With the blush still visible on her face, and the biting of her cheek commencing once again she looked away from me. A second later she covered her face with her hands as she nodded.

"O-okay..." I felt my heart do backflips. She said yes! I could die right here and now and I'd be happy. I opened the janitor door and stepped out, soon after I fell on my knees. Burrowing my face into my scarf, my face felt extremely hot. I did it, and she said yes to giving us a try. Lucy hadn't stepped out of the janitors closet yet, I was just outside it. Finally taking her hands off her face she looked at me and giggled. "Oh Natsu..." she walked up next to me and helped me stand up.

I smiled brightly at her, "Thank you Luce." She smiled back at me.

And at this very moment I knew, I looked at her as we walked side by side, I couldn't be any happier.