Chapter Three

My mother loved sunflowers.

Not many people liked it, for example, me, but that's because I didn't give a damn about flowers or any flowers. After all, they were flowers, nothing more and nothing less. They would die quickly; that's the one thing I hated the most. They would be beautiful first but then die soon like they were nothing; it was useless. It was useless to have fresh flowers home when they would die quickly, and you would have to throw away the beautiful flowers and get new ones.

My mother wasn't a new one; she wasn't just a fucking flower either.

I sighed in frustration and took the dead sunflowers out of the flower pot and put new ones. I would never go near them or pay attention, agree to whatever my mother had to say about them and how wonderful they were. If only I paid attention to her speeches. I scratched the back of my head as I looked around the cemetery. I made sure a single soul was out of sight and sat in front of my mother's grave.

Eva Jodie Tolan

I cringed when my mother gave me her middle name and used it as my middle name. It was a girl's name, but she thought it was the perfect name for her baby boy, me.

I cleared my throat and said, "Hey, mommy," nothing, "Curtis was a dick again. He's always pushing me around, telling me not to have sex and whatnot, but it's my damn life. If I want to have sex, I can. If I want to skip school, I can. I know you wouldn't be proud, but it feels so damn good not to be a kid anymore..."

I mentally said sorry to God that I cursed in his land. My mother didn't like when I swore, even though she cursed more than me. Mom wouldn't be proud, yeah, but I was doing something that I wanted to do. It wasn't an act out of rebellion. It was me being who I wanted to be.

"I sound stupid, don't I?" I chuckled when I saw her giving me a playful glare and her sly wink whenever I said something stupid towards Curtis. My chuckled ended when I didn't hear my mom's voice. After I said something idiotic, she would talk about her day or ask how my day was.

"No, you sound normal to me."

I jumped and turned my head to see a boy with silver hair that a small quiff, and cobalt blue eyes that captivated me. He had a huge smile on his face that lit up his face. He was wearing a black shirt with blue jeans that had large holes on his knees. As I was scanning his face, I noticed he had intent on his chin, and his face was small for his big head. I glared at him and stood up, dusting off the dirt on my jeans.

"Whatever," I snapped. I looked back at my mother and mumbled a goodbye before leaving her grave.

"Hey, where are you going?"

I glanced to my side and saw the boy walking next to me. He had a confused expression on his face. I rolled my eyes and speed up my walking, but that made him walk faster. What the hell did he want? Did he want something from me? I thought no one was here but guessed I was wrong. My dad was right; it was getting dark. Not so dark that you could see the moon, but almost in the evening, the sun going down and pink and purple collided together to make the perfect scenery. Thankfully, it wasn't midnight. I hated the dark.

"Wait, stop!" I jumped and stopped, turning around and looking at the boy. He had a slight smile goofy smile on his face, and he pointed to a tree in front of us.

"What the fu—"

"Do you know what kind of tree this is?" He cut me off.

I sighed, tired and annoyed by his presence. Maybe if I listened to whatever he had to say, he would leave me alone. I pulled out of my phone and checked the time to see if it was almost eight. I had little time to be this weirdo. I looked back up and saw him staring at me with sparkling blue eyes. When I didn't answer, he continued whatever he had to say. 

"This is Angel Oak. They are from South Carolina and grow every two years. However, they can't survive in this heat and will die in the next two days. It's one thousand five hundred years old, and another will be made after those two days and repeat. They call it the Angel Oak because of the long limbs that spread to different areas, and it has a sense of the tree being an Angel. Also, their previous owner's last name was Angel."

I blinked in surprised as I stared at the old tree. It was creepy, almost as if the limbs could capture you and never let you go. I looked at the boy and raised an eyebrow. He placed his hands on the tree and smiled softly, leaning entirely on the tree now. Why would he be touching an old tree? He could get something and get sick—his problem, not mine. I rechecked my phone and saw it was eight twenty. I took a step back and clapped my hands. The boy flinched and focused his attention on me.

"Well, I'm leaving. Thanks for that...an insane and awkward illustration about a tree. Bye," I said quickly and turned around. As I was walking, I glanced over my shoulder to see the boy hugging the tree.

"Stupid tree and boy," I muttered. I hoped they get married or some shit.

~~~~~~

yellow guys! i hope you enjoyed this chapter! this adorable guy is bertie gilbert and he's a youtuber and i'm guessing he's played as oakley. the song i picked for this chapter is Roger Rabbit by SWS because it's a soft song and i love his voice and i think it's wonderful. i will be posting this story more because i want things to start happening. i dedicate this to ultraviolet_light because she's the one that pushed me to make this chapter and i love her for that. by the way, angel oak is a real tree in South Carolina but i'm not sure when it dies so i made that part up. however, the rest is real. i used it because it looked like a tree that belonged in a cemetery, i don't know.