Chapter Sixteen

Oakley's footsteps stomped up and down as he grabbed random things from the kitchen, bathroom, and even my room. While he was doing that, he was talking to Mica and mumbled things under his breath. He was trying to get my attention but I was pissed off at the moment.

I couldn't believe Mica had a stupid crush on a tree hugging freak. Oakley wasn't bad looking, it was his personality that killed everything he had. If he had anything to begin with. Out of all the people, Oakley. It had to be Oakley because something about him drove people crazy but for me, it drove me to hatred. I hated Oakley so much. I hated him because he had everything that I wanted.

I let out a sigh and relaxed on the couch, my heart pounding and a headache forming. It was a lot harder to admit to something when you didn't see the problem at first.

Did I really hate Oakley? He was an annoying little shit who whined like a bitch...but he was there for me. He was there when I went to my first rehab session, he held my hand when I was uncomfortable, he made me feel like I was home, a home that I haven't felt in a long time since...

since mom vanished from the Earth.

I looked to my right when I heard something crashed. Oakley placed a suitcase in front of the door as he stomped back upstairs. Where the hell did he find a suitcase? I looked at my phone and saw that it was close to nine. If Curtis found Oakley gone, he will hate me more. Isn't that what I wanted? Oakley gone from my life because he caused problems? Shouldn't I be glad that Oakley was finally going on his own way instead of following me around?

Why did I felt like I was letting the best thing leave?

I jumped off the couch and walked upstairs to my room. Oakley rubbed his temples as he rubbed his temples. He sighed and nodded, "yeah, yeah, you're right. I'm leaving now." He ended the call and placed the house phone on the desk near my bed. He dusted his jeans and got up, looking my way. His blue eyes widen, shocked filled in them, but they turned dark in a flash and scoffed. It was shocking to see him like this because he was usually a cherry person but I forgot, he was a whiny bitch.

"Excuse me, Tate. I have to meet Mica in twenty minutes," he said and held his head up high. I crossed my arms over my chest and narrowed my eyes. He wanted something from me and I knew what it was. I may have not emotions but I sure damn well knew what people were feeling. He wanted me to say sorry for something I did for him. Well, if he wanted to play the blame game, I'll join.

I shrugged. "Okay go. Just call Curtis and tell him you're leaving."

Sadness flashed in Oakley's eyes and he nodded, swallowing hard. "Okay. I'll call him."

He walked past me in a breeze and I stood there, my eyes on the spot where he was. I dropped my arms on my sides and let out a shaky breath. Wow. I didn't know it would be so easy to let him go. I thought he would fight back but he just took it and left. Was I wrong about Oakley? I heard the front door open and closed and my heart skipped a beat. I rushed out of my room, almost tripping down the stairs, and swung the door open and saw Oakley talking on the phone. Probably Curtis.

I grabbed the phone and ended the call. "Tate what—"

"You're not leaving," I said quickly.

He furrowed his eyebrows. "What do you mean? You said to call Curtis."

I groaned and looked away from his blue eyes. "Yes, I did but—fuck. I just..."

Hug me like before. Hug me like it was our last good bye because you'll be gone and I'll be here

"Tate," he said softly. I looked at him and he had a soft smile on his face. He took a step closer to me and placed his hand on my cheek. "Thank you for everything. I'll still be in school and go to your sessions but I just...can't anymore, with you. You will always be my first friend and I'm thankful for that."

His words stabbed my heart. It was our last good bye. He was going to be near me but not live with me. I was used to his happy mood in the mornings, us fighting for the bathroom, and Curtis actually cooking breakfast for us. All because of Oakley.

"No..." I whispered. "No, you're not leaving because you're home, Oakley. I know what I did and I'm so fucking sorry, okay? I don't say that a lot and that's a big fucking deal. Can you just...stay...with me?"

I didn't noticed I was shaking until Oakley hugged me and told me to calm down. I didn't know how one person could effect me again. After the death of my mom, I thought I would be done for. I wouldn't let anyone break my walls that I kept up since she died. What did Oakley have that no one else did? Was it because his mother died and we could relate?

Like ice melts into rain, sometimes love turns into pain 

Oakley placed his face on the crook of my neck and I wrapped my arms around his waist, squeezing our bodies together and letting out shaky breaths. He closed his eyes and rubbed my back, trying to calm me down. It didn't help that well but at least it was something. He wrapped his arms around my neck and we stood there, holding each other until I pulled away.

"Of course, I'll stay with you, Tate. You're my friend," Oakley croaked and wiped his eyes.

I smiled softly and grabbed his hand, holding it tightly as we walked back inside the house. I was going to close the door when I heard someone clear their throat. I looked up and saw Curtis staring at me with a raised an eyebrow. "Do I even want to know?" He asked.

I shook my head and dragged Oakley upstairs in my room. Too tired to take off my clothes, I laid on the bed and closed my eyes. I heard movement around the room and the sound of something ringing.

"Mica? Hi! I'm staying in Tate's house. Thank you for the guest room and I will see you tomorrow, okay?" Oakley said sweetly. My heart warmed up when I heard his silky voice. I hated when his voice was raspy because that always told me he cried or yelled at me. I hated seeing him sad.

He giggled and said, "Yes, I can't wait for the date tomorrow. Good night."

I wanted to scream, punch, kick anything because you were the only one that controlled my heart.

I felt the bed dipped and an arm wrap around my waist. It felt odd to have someone hold onto when you fell asleep. Whenever I had sex, I would push the girl away or tell her to get her fat ass out of my house. Did cuddling felt like this? Was it feeling someone's skin touch yours but didn't touch anywhere else? Oakley placed his head on my chest and sighed in content.

"I'll always stay with you, Tate," he whispered. I snapped my eyes opened and saw him sleeping. His arm were around my waist and his other arm was laid on my body half. His fingers curled a ball on my shirt as if I was going to disappear forever.

Although I was the one who was scared if he disappeared.

I stared at the ceiling for a bit. I remembered when my mom held me tight when I was scared of the dark. We didn't cuddle but she told me I was a big boy who shouldn't be scared of silly things. When she noticed I was scared of silly things, she couldn't help but stayed up all night to read bed time stories and made me drink warm milk. Later, she told me she didn't mind since she got to see me smile at her whenever she looked away. She was my angel.  Without her, the dark got scarier but since I got Oakley, tonight wasn't so scary.

Because I had him.

My eyes started to fall. Before I fell asleep, I kissed Oakley's forehead and relaxed on my bed.

"I'll always stay with you too."

~~~~~

words: 1,456

by the way the quote (tate's thoughts) 'Like ice melts into rain, sometimes love turns into pain" I found on weheartit so I can't take credit of that. the rest, yes.