Chapter Twenty Five

"What do you mean pregnant?" I screamed. Jada and Oakley flinched at the tone of my voice but I didn't care. How could she be pregnant? I knew we fucked and the condom broke but I had hope that she wouldn't get pregnant. Not when Oakley and I started getting closer, not when Curtis and I were somewhat okay with each other, not when I actually felt like I was beginning to help myself.

Jada raised her hands and said calmly, "Like I said, if you don't want to help, that's fine. I will be there for the child. I just need you to come to the appointments."

"Fine," I snapped. I got up and walked to the kitchen.

"What, no!" Oakley shouted.

I turned around and saw Oakley marched his way towards me. I sighed in annoyance. "What do you mean? I said fine but I'm not taking care of the baby."

"Why not? Because the baby may not be yours?"

I snorted. "She opened her legs more than an elevator and a whore combined. I'm not taking care of it."

Jada's eyes flashed with shock and unleashed tears were shred. She shook her head and ran out of the house. I sighed again and leaned my hip on the counter.

"Have you lost your mind? It doesn't matter if the baby is yours or not, she came to you because she trusted you!" Oakley yelled. I rubbed my temples and tried to ignored his annoying voice. A part of me was telling me that Oakley was right, hell, I even knew I was right. Jada wasn't a thot, she only had sex to push feelings away, and I was the second guy she had sex with. It couldn't be the first guy because she had sex with him a year ago, of course, with a condom on and it didn't break. But I was sixteen, I wanted to do random shit before I could become a dad.

I shook my head and denied everything. "It doesn't matter, I'm not taking care of it."

Oakley ran his hand through his hair. "It's not about you anymore, it's her, it's the baby. How would your mother feel about this?"

The word mother caused me to rush towards Oakley and slammed him against the wall. His blue eyes stared at me with fright, his body shaking uncontrollably. I leaned my face close to Oakley and said with gritted teeth, "Never speak of my mother ever again."

Oakley swallowed harshly and nodded quickly. I let go of him and he dropped to the ground. I towered him and he leaned his back on the wall. I sat next to him and ran a hand over my face. The anger was slowly draining out of me as Oakley and I sat next to each other on the ground. We didn't say a word to each other.

I broke the silence, "Look, I'm sorry."

"You're always sorry," he said softly.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Oakley slowly turned his head and frowned. "You know what you did wrong but you keep doing it. I don't want to get hurt anymore, Tate." 

I've been hurting Oakley since I ever met him. I tried not to hurt him but my anger was out of control. He had learn that in the real world, you always get hurt, you will feel pain because everything isn't always about rainbows and unicorns. This isn't a god damn fairy tale and you won't always get to solve the problems you have. I had to face the conquences because I knew something would had happened sooner or later. My mother would had slap the sense into me if I told her I wasn't taking care of a baby that was mine. Curtis would had kicked me out of the house to find my common sense. If I wasn't a sex addict, if Jada and I weren't so rough, if I wasn't so angry all the time, I wouldn't be in this fucking mess. 

"Fine," I whispered. "I'll take care of the baby. But I have to tell Curtis first." 

Oakley beamed and leaned his head on my shoulder. I sighed loudly and we sat on the floor silently. How was I going to tell Curtis that I got a girl pregnant? Should I tell him on my birthday? Maybe Christmas and say, "hey, you have a grandbaby. Take care of the little shit." Or his birthday so he can really be pissed at me. I didn't know how to explain this to him without him being an ass towards me. I didn't want to hear the words, I told you so, because he was right, he told me not to get a girl pregnant, he told me not to drink, and he told me to grow up.

Oakley moved away from me and got up. He stretched his bones and then his brown eyes locked on mine. I got up and stood in front of him. His fringe fell over his eyes and his skin was a ghostly pale. I placed my hand on his forehead and he was a bit cold.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

Oakley waved his hand in dismissal. "I'm okay. I just don't feel too well, that's all."

"Oh, well, I'll whip up a cup of tea and give you medicine, okay?"

He smiled. "You're too nice."

He turned around and walked upstairs.

Only to you, babe.

I smiled to myself and made the cup of tea.

~~~~~

Oakley took small sips as we watched TV. He felt a bit hotter but it was way better than him being cold. I checked his forehead again to see if a fever was coming but nothing. Oakley snuggled on my chest and sighed in content. I smiled down at him and wrapped my arms around him.

The words slipped through my lips before I could catch them, "I like you."

Oakley lifted his head and stared at me with joy in his eyes. "I like you too, Tate."

He was going to lay back down when I stopped him. "No, I mean, I really really like you...more than a friend."

He furrowed his eyebrows. "So, a boyfriend?"

I rolled my eyes. "Obviously like a boyfriend."

Oakley placed his elbows on the side of the beds and placed his chin my stomach. It looked like he was in deep thought but I could tell he was unsure where this conversation was going. I pushed myself up so my back could lean on the head board and explained my feelings.

"I hated you in the beginning because you made Curtis happy and thought you was weird but then...I saw how you wanted to be around me because you felt like it, not to mourn when my mother died, and you're the only person I told that I wanted to kill myself."

"Are you saying that I saved you?" He teased.

I chuckled. "You're my Batman, I guess."

"I don't know, Tate. After what happened to Mica, I'm afraid something bad will happen to you. What if—what if..."

"Hey, hey," I kissed Oakley to calm down. He was shaking again and it was the last thing I wanted him to feel, to feel afraid and hurt that something will happen to Mica, him, and I. I held the back of his head and started to kiss his neck.

He put his head back and mumbled, "Okay."

I stopped kissing and smiled happily. "What did you say?" I wanted to hear him say it. 

He looked at me with his beautiful eyes. "I'll be your boyfriend, Tate."

"And I'll be your boyfriend, Oakley."

He giggled when I started tickling him. I couldn't be anymore happier.

~~~~~

"Hello?"

"Are you ready for tomorrow?"

"Yeah, I got the shit. Are you sure you want to do this?"

"This is for Oakley. If the cops ain't gonna do shit, might as well do it myself."

"Alright, man. See you tomorrow."

"Yeah, bye."