Chapter Twenty Eight

I fluttered my eyes opened and I yawned. I was going to stretch my bones when I noticed something heavy was leaning on them. I looked to my side and saw Oakley snuggled on my arm.

A sleepily smile fell upon my lips and I reached over to kiss Oakley on the cheek. With my other arm, I reached for my dresser and looked at my notifications. Aggie asked me if I was awake so I could get ice cream with her and if the cops came over. I ignored the second text message and a few were unknown until one of them said this is Grant.

Where did Grant and I stand? He wasn't going to bother me or anyone, that's for a fact, but could I trust him? I saved his life and I didn't threatened him to say anything, he knew that on his own. But why would he keep everything to himself?

Any person, a person who was kidnapped, would had told the police what had happened to them, but he said he won't tell anyone. I already told someone, Curtis, because the guilt was eating alive and I knew I wouldn't keep it to myself. The truth had to come out someday.

I texted with my thumb, I told my dad.

It felt typing the word that I couldn't say anymore. Hopefully, Grant told someone, but not the cops...yet. I scrolled through my text messages and stopped at the last one.

Mica: Don't forget

It was the last message that Mica sent me before he let go. He told me to don't forget the plan, the plan he made and I helped with, but now it felt like don't forget about him, don't forget the memories with him, don't forget that everything will be fine, don't forget about Oakley, don't forget what we dreamed of. I don't ever want to forget.

"Tate?"

I turned my head to see Oakley rubbing his eyes. His lips were red and chapped, his voice was a lot better from yesterday, and his hair was sticking in different places. I dropped my phone on my lap and touched his forehead. I smiled and moved my hand to his cheek.

"Your fever is gone," I announced.

"You would make a great nurse," Oakley said sleepily.

"Thanks babe but I can't deal with sick people. I'm sort of germaphobic person."

Oakley giggled but his giggles turned into heavy coughs. He sat up and coughed on his elbow. I patted his back gently to let all the coughs leave. When he finished, he leaned his head on my shoulder and I wrapped the blanket around us. We stayed in each other's embrace. I listened to his ragged breathing and I felt like I would be the worst nurse ever.

Why didn't I notice his cold earlier? I was so concentrated on Mica's plan that I forgot about Oakley and his needs. Oakley sat up and have me a convincing smile to show that he was fine. I didn't believe for one second that he was okay because he had deep bags under his eyes but his blue eyes lit like a Christmas tree.

"I'm so happy you're here with me," he whispered. Considering that he thought I was kidnapped at the end of school, I would had been happy too if Oakley went somewhere after I told him Curtis would be picking him up. I was more than happy, almost relieved that Oakley still cared after I did some dumb shit.

"I'm happy I'm here with you, babe," I mumbled and kissed his forehead. "Come on, I'll make you breakfast."

~~~~~

I opened the fridge and searched for the orange juice. Once my eyes saw the orange juice, I reached for it but then I saw the cupcake that I left for Curtis but the note was gone. Was Curtis acting like his regular self because he read the note? Why didn't he eat the cupcake? He didn't like it? Maybe he read the note and threw it away, just like the rest of the family. But I shouldn't be jumping to conclusions and wait until he comes home.