Chapter Eight

Oakley was singing a weird song in the bathroom. Curtis went outside to buy food for us, meaning he was buying food for Oakley and himself, and tried too hard to look for clothes for him. I wasn't jealous that Curtis treated me like I was in invisible and I wasn't jealous that Oakley was a happy go getter. It was a drain to be jealous of someone just because they had something better than you. Between Oakely and I, we lost our mothers but I was okay. I wasn't the problem and I didn't have a problem. However, Oakley acted like nothing was wrong and that being in some stranger's house was a freaking miracle for him. I kept forgetting that the boy was homeless for god sake's. He didn't even know what a bed was. 

I heard the shower turned off and a feet pattered on the tile floor. I hoped he didn't slip and fall because then I would have to see him naked and that was plain gross. Seeing a woman's body was way better. 

After meeting Oakley, my attention drifted away from the ladies and mostly on him. Not that ladies didn't attract me but my time and patience was on Oakley that I basically had to take car of him most of the time and visiting my mother too. I couldn't give a fuck about Curtis other than him being a pushy bastard. He tried to trick me into going to the rehab when he told me we were going to visit my mom. I wanted to beat the shit outta him. I hated him so much that I felt like digging his own grave and pushing him inside. 

"Tate, um, I need help, please!" Oakley shouted embarrassingly. I walked towards the bathroom and knocked on the door. The door opened half way and he popped his head out, biting his bottom lip. "Can you pass me some clothes? Thank you." 

I gave him an old t-shirt and a pair of boxers. I knew it would be too big for him but at least he wasn't wearing his horrible and stinky clothes anymore. I didn't realized I was standing in front of the door still when Oakley stood in front of me with a puzzled expression. His silver hair was wet and plastered on his forehead, his blue lips were pink, and his brown eyes were glowing. It looked like he was alive

"Can I sleep? I'm really tired," Oakley mumbled and gave me puppy dog eyes. My heart jumped to my throat and I couldn't form any words so I nodded. Oakley rubbed his eyes sleepily as he walked past me and dropped to his knees and laid on the floor. He did the fetal position as his small body shivered. The pity caused me to choke in my own words. 

"No...no, Oakley get up. You can sleep on my bed. I can take the floor or the couch," I whispered. I waited for Oakley to get up when I noticed he was already sleeping. I felt something wet and warm on my cheek. I wiped it away quickly and sniffled. I was not weak, I was not a crybaby. I was not going to cry because of a stupid homeless tree freak. I slowly and gently carried Oakley in the bridal position and placed him on the bed. I covered his body with my blanket and placed a kiss on his forehead. 

Just like how my mother did to me. 

"Good night," I whispered. He snuggled onto another pillow and mumbled a few incoherent words. I glanced at him before I left my room. I walked to the kitchen and saw Curtis removing his jacket and putting it on the chair. He looked up and gave me a nod. I ignored the ache in my chest and nodded back. 

"Where's Oakley?" Thanks for asking how I am, Curtis. 

"He's sleeping," I replied. I grabbed a blanket and laid on the couch. I closed my eyes and tried to sleep when Curtis' heavy footsteps stomped everywhere. I felt his presence above me. I was going to snap at him when I felt a pair of lips on my forehead. I instantly tensed up but relaxed when he pulled away. I peeked up and saw Curtis smiling slightly and whispered a good night. Then he turned around and walked to his room. 

As much I hated him, I couldn't help but whispered a good night back. 

~~~~~

 Oakley was touching anything that was mine. He touched the dark themed of my drawing on my walls and stared at a picture of my mother and I. He stared at it for a long time that I wondered if he and his mother took a picture together. But he couldn't because he didn't have a phone nor an actually human mother. I started to believe that Oakley may had a tree mother and he may not be a human. He looked and acted like one but what was his purpose here? I decided to stop being a creep and opened the door that caused Oakley to moved away from the picture and look at my way.