Chapter Twenty Seven

I stopped in front of house that held at least seven windows, all the lights were on, and it was a pretty baby blue and a gold that showed richness. Grant sighed and took off the hoodie that was around his body and placed it on my lap.

He took off his seat belt and turned his head towards me. "What are you gonna do?" He asked. I shrugged my shoulders, my eyes trained what's in front of me. "I'm not going to tell."

I nodded yet I was numb. My fingers felt numb, my head stopped working, and my heart felt like it stopped but I was thankful it was beating, just a bit slow. I wasn't calm, I was just numb.

I felt like this when I was drinking or having sex. Maybe both.

Grant placed a comforting hand on my shoulder and placed his other hand on my cheek. He forced to turn my head towards his and I was struck by his face. He wasn't pale anymore, he was red and dried tears were on his cheeks. He had a small smile on his face and he leaned his face close to mine.

I automatically closed my eyes and felt his warm lips on my cheek. I shivered under his touch. I fluttered my eyes opened and felt a small twitch on the corner of my lips. Grant flashed me a closed smile before he got out of the car and walked to the house. He stopped and turned around. Tears rolled down his face and shook his head before he ran inside the house.

I leaned my head on the steering wheel and sighed loudly. Another moment I had to deal with the rest of my life. Grant didn't look back because he wanted to show that he was crying, he looked because he was scared what happened today and he had to covered up a homicide with some fucked up lie.

"Hey, I'm going to be fine."

"But what about me, Mica? Will I be fine?" I whispered to myself.

I lifted up my head and started the car. I drove away from Grant's house and made it to my house. As I was driving, I noticed that I didn't need Grant's instructions anymore. He said I was a "natural driver". It felt weird coming from the person I hated and tried to take my girls away but at that moment, he was like any other person who wanted to go home and forget what happened. I wanted to forget what happened.

~~~~~~~

I found Curtis, Aggie, and Oakley in the kitchen. When I was going to speak, Aggie lifted her head up and she jumped out of her chair. She tackled me with a hug and I felt something warm on my shoulder. Oakley looked up and he tackled me in a hug too. Curtis watched us with blood shot eyes and he held a paper tightly that it crumbled in his hand.

"W-where were you?" Oakley stuttered. "E-everyone's been looking for you."

I shook my head and hugged them tightly. How was I going to tell them what I did? The cops were probably already at the cliff and Grant and I were home. They were definitely going to question why I was there with Grant and a dead body was in the river. But I didn't completely life about everything. I couldn't save him.

"Answer him!" Curtis screamed. Aggie cried harder and Oakley flinched. "Do you know how worried I was? They said you, Mica, and some other body disappeared when school ended? They said it was kidnapping because they saw-"

"Mica is dead," I said blankly.

Curtis stopped talking; his jaw dropped and his eyes were wide. Oakley gasped and moved out of my grip. He stared at me with his blue glassy eyes and ran out of the house. Curtis followed Oakley and I heard Oakley puking his guts out. Aggie sobbed and I could only do the thing that helped both of us. Cry along with her and hold her close.

Curtis walked back inside with Oakley leaning on him and I didn't dare say a word how Curtis was worrying more about Oakley than me. I didn't care if he did because Mica was dead and I was living, I was home, and Mica wasn't.