Chapter Twenty Three

Oakley curled on me, his head pressed against my chest and his legs wrapped around my own legs, sleeping peacefully. I stared at the ceiling, trying to fall asleep but the dark thoughts took over, or I think their dark.

I haven't had sex in three days and my lasting one was a week. I was some beta proud that I stopped but felt like shit when I had sex again. I only had sex because I was angry at Oakley and myself. I only drank because I was being a stupid fuck and actually lied about my age, not that it wasn't the first time. Most people thought I was eighteen but in reality, I was way younger, younger than Mica.

I guessed I reacted the way my mother reacted if she found out I was drinking like crazy. Once I saw Oakley drank my vodka that I hid from Curtis, I had to do something. I didn't want Oakley to become like me. I fucked up, I screwed up, but I was going to make it up. I looked at Oakley and saw him smile in his sleep.

"I'll make it up by starting with you," I whispered.

His smile widened.

~~~~~

"What the fuck?!"

I snapped my eyes opened and jolted up. My bedroom door slammed opened and Curtis walked inside with fury in his eyes.

"What the hell-?" I mumbled and flinched when something crashed on the floor. Oakley fully woke up and rubbed his the tiredness out of his eyes.

"Tate? What's going on?" He asked.

"I don't-"

"I thought I told you to stop drinking, Tate!" Curtis screamed. I removed the blanket off my body and looked across my bed to the vodka bottle into pieces.

I shut my eyes and mumbled, "shit." I opened my eyes. "I didn't drink that. I don't know why or how that thing got here but I completely stopped."

Curtis scoffed and said in a mocking tone, "I'll believe that when pigs fly." I stayed quiet. You're the only one who drinks vodka, Tate. I thought I told you to go to those sessions or else I'm sending you away."

I licked my lips and felt the burning gaze on the back of my head.

"Tate!" Curtis snapped. "Tell me the truth, how did that bottle get here and I don't want a bullshit answer."

"Jesus fucking Christ, can't you wait until I'm dressed? We have to go to school!" I yelled.

"Don't talk to me like that! I am your father!"

"No you're not!" I roared. His eyes widened and his jaw dropped. "Not anymore and I fucking hate you! Don't you understand? I hate this house, I hate how you're a dick, and I hate how you killed mom!"

Oakley gasped. I was breathing heavily, my veins close to popping, and a headache forming. My heart was racing because of my temper. It was getting awfully bad and Curtis was the cause of it. I swallowed the lump in my throat and blinked the tears away.

"Just leave me alone, please," I said quietly. Curtis was extremely pale and his vibrant blue eyes were filled with sadness, defeat, and tears; his usual strong posture was sagged, and his hands curled up in fists. He nodded and left my bedroom.

I slowly hugged myself and squeezed my eyes shut, an empty hole appearing in the pit of my stomach and heart. I bit my tongue to keep myself from crying but when the first tear dropped. I was sobbing like the day my mom died. Curtis and I had our fights but it was never this deep.

What I said wasn't completely true but my mind and emotions had been battling for months and when I thought expressing them would had help. It only made things worse. I felt Oakley wrapped his arms around and placed his chin on my shoulder.