Chapter Thirty Five

Our (shitty) Winter dance was cancelled. More like, "I wasn't in the mood so go home." But Aggie, Oakley, and I couldn't go home because we—more like I—had to something to get Grant out of the police station or he will go to jail. I paced back and forth with my teeth biting my thumb nail. Curtis watched me as I moved around to get my mind off of Grant.

Aggie looked like she didn't care because she disliked Grant after the fight Grant and I had in the library and for his player ways. Oakley looked like he was sick to the stomach but he was trying to keep calm for me.

However, I was losing my fucking mind. Was he going to tell on me? I had to get him out of there before he screwed us both over. But he said he wouldn't say anything but why would he not tell? He was in the police station and he could basically tell everyone the truth about everything. But he wouldn't tell the cops what he did to Mica, that would get him in more trouble.

"Tate, why are you worrying about him? He had it coming," Aggie said and laid her head on the couch. He did. I wanted to get him caught so badly but it felt somewhat wrong. Oakley paled when he saw that I stopped in front of him and grabbed his cheeks.

I kissed him lightly and pigment appeared on his cheeks. I smiled and brushed his silver hair out of his face. "It's okay, babe. Don't you worry," I said softly.

"I'm not worried about him, I'm worried about you, Tate. Do you have to tell me something?" Oakley asked nervously. I glanced at Curtis and he looked away. Fucking traitor.

It was best not to tell.

"No. I just have to get Grant out of jail," I answered. Aggie scoffed. "Why would you do that? You hate him."

"Don't tell me how I feel," I snapped. "Him and I agreed on something so I'm getting him out. If you're going to sit there and be bitter, be my guest, but I'm going to save Grant."

Why couldn't you save your best friend? I stormed out of the house, leaving a stunned Aggie and Curtis shaking their head. Fuck them. If they weren't going to help, I guess I had to do it myself. It's nothing new, I always did stuff by myself. I started walking when I heard Oakley call my name. I turned around but walked backwards as I watch Oakley ran.

"What are you doing? I need to go to the police station," I said and scoffed. I turned back around and crossed the street. I noticed that Oakley didn't listen to me and continued walking. Oakley didn't say anything as we walked to the police station.

He started to shiver in the cold and I frowned when I noticed that he didn't have a jacket on which meant that he ran out of the house to follow me. My frowned turned upside down and I put my arm around Oakley's shoulders and pulled him close to me. He smiled and leaned forward to kiss my cheek. Grant would give me bullshit for bringing Oakley to the police station but he was the only one who didn't make me feel like shit after what happened. I needed support, not judgment. I couldn't thank him enough for being there.

~~~~

Oakley and I walked inside the police station and I expected cops running around, yelling at criminals, or criminals screaming their heads off about wanting to get out of the jail cell or some shit. You could say I was disappointed when I noticed that the atmosphere was calm rather than chaotic. I leaned away and grabbed Oakley's hand instead. It was more easier than having pulling him around.

I walked to the front desk and a police officer was staring at the computer screen and chewing his gum calmly. He looked up and smiled. "What can I do for ya young fella?"

I glanced at his nametag and tried smiling back but failed. "Hello, Officer Bennett. I'm here to talk to Grant Graham," I said kindly. Officer Bennett nodded and looked at the computer screen. I looked at Oakley as I waited for officer Bennett to search.