Chapter Six

Sometimes I wondered if God hated me with a passion. He gave people second chances but forgot to give my mother one. She did nothing but been a kind woman. She had her upsides and downs, steal food in markets, or entered homes that weren't hers. She told me it was for her to stay alive in the cold world. My mom turned her anger and pain to flowers because they looked gorgeous, dead or alive, and they were there for her when nobody else was.

Until Curtis, that ungrateful bastard that I called father, took her under his wing and became the perfect couple and made the 'perfect' son. If only they stayed perfect. If only I stayed perfect but having sex and drinking were perfectly fine with me. I raised an eyebrow when I didn't see a boy with silver hair with my jacket.

"He has nowhere to go. He's homeless, for God's sake," I muttered. I winced at what I said. It sounded way worse when it came out of my mouth. I sighed and sat in front of my mom's grave. I sucked my teeth when goosebumps appeared on my arms.

"If I had my damn jacket..." I whispered harshly. "Curtis is being a dick again. We argued about the rehab shit. I don't want to go because nothing's wrong with me. I'm fine."

I almost hoped for an answer from my mom but, as always, nothing. I leaned forward to touch the font of the grave when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I jumped and turned around to see the boy, Angel, smiling widely at me. His blue eyes were filled with happiness until he saw me. His smile dimmed, and he got on his knees, placing his hand on my cheek.

"Why are you crying? Who hurt you?"

I slapped his hand away and glared at him. "None of your business. Where's my jacket?"

Angel didn't get the hint. "Why are you crying, Tate? I want to help you."

I took a sharp breath before letting it out. I was trying to calm my anger that was rising. I was not too fond of that word: help. It was the second word I hated. I didn't need help because there was nothing wrong. Why did everyone make it seem like I had a problem, or I was the problem?

I groaned in annoyance and got up, walking away from my mother's grave. I heard footsteps behind me, and I knew Angel was following me. I finally stopped and stood in front of a deep hole. I raised an eyebrow and crouched down, touching the edges of the hole that had dead grass.

"Angel Oak died yesterday."

I can't believe what I am going to say next. "I'm sorry," I muttered.

"It's okay..."

I heard a sniffle. I mentally rolled my eyes, got up, and turned around to see tears running down Angel's cheeks. He tried wiping them away on the sleeves of my jacket, but he kept crying. He hugged himself, but it looked like he wanted to hold someone...maybe me. I clenched my jaw and tried to block his cries away but knew it wouldn't stop until I do something. It's not like I could bring the stupid tree back to life, and he said himself, the tree would grow back in two days. My attention was caught when I heard Angel's sobs get louder. 

"It's a stupid fucking tree! It's fucking dead, okay? You can't bring them back to life!" I screamed. 

I felt my heart pounding. I gritted my teeth and opened my mouth to yell at him again when he dropped to his knees. All anger washed away, and I was left with an empty hole in my heart. Angel cried in agony, his cries echoing in the cemetery.

I was damaging him more than myself.

It was never easy for something so precious to die so quickly. I wasn't screaming at Angel. I was screaming at myself. I wanted to let myself know that my mother was dead, and she couldn't come back. I got on my knees and wrapped my arms around Angel. He instantly relaxed in my arms and cried on my stomach. I wanted to choke the words sorry, but my brain was saying he was a damn baby for crying about a freaking tree. He could grow another one, but it seemed like it wouldn't be the same for him.

Angel stopped crying and stayed in my arms. Then he fully hugged me, wrapping his arms around my neck and my arms wrapping around his waist. I felt uncomfortable. I was okay with people hugging me, but now I felt suffocated, but with Angel, it felt...different.

~~~~

Angel had my jacket on. It looked like he never took it off since I lasted came here. He had his head on my shoulder as we stared at the hole.

"I'm going to miss her," he whispered. I didn't say anything, letting his thoughts out in the open. "She was my safe house. I loved her, and she loved me. She told me one day I will meet someone who cared as much as she did. Do you think she's right?" 

Why would anyone cared what I think? I wasn't used to the sentimental shit so comforting him wasn't on my agenda.

I cleared my throat and furrowed my eyebrows together, trying to figure a way to say my words. "I...she sounded like a great person? And maybe she was right about the whole finding someone who cared as much she did."

Angel nodded and wiped his eyes. "She was my mother."

I held back the chuckle that wanted to come out. Had he lost his mind? A fucking tree can't be someone's human mother. It's logic. It's impossible. It's-it's-

"And I never knew my father. I don't actually know how I got here, but I'm so happy I met you, Tate," Angel said happily and raised his head.

I stared into his bloodshot blue eyes, his dazzling smile, and his wild silver hair that covered his right eye. His arms were around my neck still. Our noses were almost touching, and from a distance, it looked like we were kissing. He was an annoying homeless guy. I'd rather go to rehab than date or kiss him.

But it felt damn good to know I made someone happy. Especially Angel.

~~~~

fucking hate my computer. i would smash the shit outta this thing. xD hope you like the update! what do you think about Tate? Don't worry the name Angel won't last so long so don't be confused and such. this chapter was kind of depressing but yeah.