Chapter Thirty Seven

It was okay to cry, it was okay to be defeated, it was okay to go through some shit, but it was the unexpected shit that made me want to quit at life. I thanked God for my fucked up sleeping schedule because if I didn't wake up, I would be holding a dead body in my arms. Curtis and I were at the waiting room. My knuckles turned white and cold when I squeezed them too hard. Curtis stopped me for punching the wall twice because none of the doctors would tell us what was wrong or how was Oakley. They told us that they would be back in an hour but it had been three fucking hours. I'm surprised I didn't throw a chair.

Curtis placed a hand on my shaking knee and squeezed it. I let out a sigh to calm my rapid heart and leaned my head on the wall. I rubbed my temples when a pounding started to form and the thought of Oakley gone caused my head to hurt more. What in the actual fuck? It made no damn sense. He was fine yesterday and now he could hardly breathe, move or speak. He didn't open his eyes when I shook him. But head breathing so that was good.

"Tate?" I sat up and a doctor and Curtis was staring at me. "Can you tell me what happened?" The doctor asked.

I nodded and cleared my throat. "Yeah. Um, I woke up and I started calling Oakley's name but he wasn't responding like he usual do and I stared to freak out. So when I grabbed him, he was freezing. I waited a while to see if he would open his eyes but he never did," I said quickly and felt tears fill my eyes. "What's wrong with him? He was fine yesterday, it doesn't make sense."

The doctor took off his gloves and he sent me a pitiful glance. "Was he sick before?"

"Yes doctor but we took care of him and he seemed fine," Curtis explained.

"Did you know he has asthma?"

My jaw dropped. "Asthma? What the hell? Asthma doesn't do that to you!" Curtis opened his mouth to say something but I sent him a glare. "Dad, he was fine yesterday. Why would he have a random asthma attack?"

"Because it was a random asthma attack. If he was coughing a lot, he was coughing whatever he thought was in his throat, but nothing was inside. He was trying to breathe."

I scoffed. "But that doesn't explain why he was fine when we gave him the soup."

"Because he controlled his breathing before you gave him the soup. He told me everything, he didn't want to make you guys worry."

Oakley told him everything and he couldn't tell his boyfriend? I was his boyfriend! I needed to know these things. The whole time I was rocking him back and forth, the whole time he was freaking out and was nervous, he was having an inner asthma attack. "He also told me had panic attacks. This is extremely dangerous, especially if someone has asthma and I do believe you should buy him a pump."

"When can he leave?" Curtis asked.

"Right now. You just have to sign a few papers and you can pay the medical bill around this week. Oakley will be out soon."

"Thank you, Doctor."

The doctor nodded and walked away.

"I can't fucking believe this," I grumbled.

"Son, I know this is hard for you but you need to be a bit soft around Oakley. If he freaks out, he'll be in the hospital again."

I nodded and sighed in relief when I saw Oakley walking down the hallway. I didn't jump up and hug him, I did pepper him with kisses, I didn't smile warmly at him. I was completely pissed at him but I was more pissed at myself for not paying enough attention to him. I probably caused his panic attacks. I screamed, slapped, and took advantage of him so of course he had panic attacks and the effect was him having asthma. I was a fucked up and I did this to him.