Chapter Forty

It happened again.

It happened next day.

I woke up and yawned, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. I leaned up and saw that Oakley's chest wasn't moving the same as mine, and I thought it was because he was sleeping, but his arms were hanging on the couch and not around my waist. His pink lips were a dark blue-ish purple, his skin very pale and cold that I shivered.

I quickly sat up and moved Oakley. He was laying on his back on the couch and I quickly rushed upstairs to get Curtis. I burst in his room and his back was towards me.

He looked over his shoulder and asked, "What's up?"

I pointed my thumb over my shoulder and stammered, "O—Oakley. H—he's cold."

Curtis's eyes widened and jumped up, running past me and out of his room. I followed him and he was on his knees, holding Oakley's face with tenderness. Curtis looked around and his eyes lit up when he saw the inhaler on the coffee table. He grabbed it and placed it on Oakley's mouth. I ran a shaky hand over my shaved head and held a heartbreaking sob when Oakley didn't open his eyes.

"D—dad, please save him," I whimpered. I love him. Curtis looked up and we stared at each other for a few seconds before he started doing CPR on him. I walked closer to them and Curtis started speaking to himself.

"I knew he didn't have any damn asthma. That stupid fucking doctor," he mumbled angrily to himself. "If you think I'm letting another person in my life die, you're fucking wrong." He grabbed Oakley by his shoulders and started shaking him like he was a rag doll. "Oakley, wake up!" He cried. "Please!"

Oakley gasped and sat up quickly, clutching his chest. His blue eyes looked around the room and grabbed Curtis' shoulders before he started swaying back and forth. Curtis steadied him and placed him on the floor with his back on the couch.

I got on my knees and held Oakley's cheeks. His blue eyes were distant, not concentrating on me, but at the window. I moved his head so he would look at me but only tears fogged his eyes.

"Oakley, what's wrong? Does anything hurt?" I asked, looking around his body to see if anything was bruised.

Oakley let out a breath and grabbed my hands. He stared deeply in my eyes and licked his lips, his eyes squinting a bit and tears fell. He opened his mouth and closed of afterwards, shaking his head.

"I can't tell you but you have to know," he chocked. He glanced at Curtis and Curtis had the same emotion: confusion. "I'm...I'm dying."

I quickly let go of his cheeks. The disappointment and hurt appeared on his face. I wasn't mad that he didn't tell me earlier. I was mad that everyone around me was dying. It just wasn't fucking fair. I did everything to keep the people I love from harm's way but they always seemed to die for not fucking reason. And it was pissing me off.

"Please don't be mad at me, Tate. I know I should've told you but I—"

"It's okay," I said softly. "I understand."

Relief appeared on his face. "You do?"

I nodded. I could tell that in his eyes he didn't believe me but I wanted him to know that I was here for him.

"I...I don't understand," Curtis announced. "Why are you dying? Is there anything we can do?"

Oakley sighed and looked at Curtis. "I wished but it's the weather. Tate found me in the fall, and trees and leaves do die, but he helped me stay alive for a very long time. But when it snows, more tress die and I die along with them. I don't think I can handle it anymore."