25. 𝗵𝗮𝗯𝗶𝘁

DANCING WITH OUR HANDS TIED

4x03 + 4x04 𖦹𖦹𖦹 Muted + The Benefactor

Maddie's eye twitched as she watched as Braeden sat across from her, placing her feet up on the table.

"That table's Italian," she said, through gritted teeth.

"So are these boots. Are we going to talk interior design and fashion or are we going to talk numbers?" Braeden asked.

"Well seeing as how those are the ugliest boots I've ever seen you could probably use a fashion talk" Maddie smirked.

Braeden rolled her eyes, her attention falling toward Derek who was staring back at his reflection through a pair of sunglasses.

Peter wrote a number on a Post-it note and slid it across the table. Taking it, Braeden smiled at him, crossed out the number, and wrote something else before giving it back.

Peter looked at it and scoffed. "We're hiring you to find Kate, not assassinate the president," he said.

"I was hired by the Calaveras to find Kate. You're hiring me to find her first. Going against the Calaveras is what's going to cost you" Braeden said as Peter wrote down another number before handing it to her.

Braeden wouldn't even look at it as she gave it back and Peter stood up, shaking his head.

Derek took the paper, ripping it in half. "We'll pay," he said.

"Derek!" Maddie exclaimed.

"Just find Kate, that's all we want," he said.

Braeden nodded, agreeing to her price before she took her things and left.

"Are you insane?" Peter shouted once she was gone.

"Peter shut up," Maddie said before turning to Derek. "Okay, seriously. What's going on with you and don't say nothing."

"If we don't find out who told Kate about the vault we don't get those bonds back. What do you think I'm gonna do then, huh? Get a job? My resume is slightly out of date. We got robbed! Robbed!" Peter shouted.

"You got robbed, Peter. I'm not the one who stored 117 million dollars in bearer bonds of all things in a vault underneath a public school. I mean seriously, bearer bonds? You're not a pirate" Maddie said. "Now seriously, get out of my house."

"I really don't like you" Peter huffed.

"The feeling's mutual" Maddie smiled as he grabbed his jacket and stormed out.

Once he was gone, Maddie turned back to Derek. "So, you wanna tell me the real reason you're willing to offer our life savings to find Kate?"

"It's not our life savings," he said.