XXII

Sᴘɪʀᴀʟɪɴɢ

Cyno nods at this, he too felt it was important for Tighnari to know but at the same time, he had this off-putting and sinking feeling to keep the truth hidden for a while longer

"You could start by sounding a bit happier to see me. But I'm not sure that'll happen, will it?"

"...Only if you forget that night...Besides, then, did you ever see me?"Cyno nods at this question and explains that he saw the wolf as a child.
"You had come to my clan for help I believe but my people treated you like nothing, my father even threatened to hurt you if you didn't leave our village near the city...You looked like you needed help."

"Must of been desperate for it, I don't seem to remember that. Any other time?"

"We crossed paths vaguely in the desert. Your group found the scholar I was after and handed him over, your back was turned and you were at the back of the group. I still remember how enchanting you looked on both times–"An unsettled growl rises from M/n, it was a warning not to go into old feelings.
"Sorry...."

"Stop apologizing when I'm in the wrong for becoming snappy with you. Never bare your stomach to an aggressive wolf, Cyno. However, I'd say it's too late since I—Ahem never mind."Cyno's face morphed into that of shock since he caught on to what M/n was going to say. Soon enough Tighnari and Zahra come back into the sitting room with snacks in tow.
"So how was your journey from wherever you young lads came from?"

"It was fine ma'am. Sunny weather all day till we reached the woods."

"Ah! The typical day here is a constant rain and sunny cycle. Here's some history passed down in my family, Lord Yamanu loved these woods. Whenever he had time this was where he'd be, frolicking with the Aranara, discovering things that humans had yet to find, and participating in song and dance. He may have been a lord of the sands but here in the woods, he was akin to a fairy, a prince from stories. He greatly influenced life here."M/n smiled as he could feel the swell of pride and even a hint of shyness at the praise.
"Hahaha, A fairy huh? Now that's a befitting compliment."

"Cut it out! I hear that mocking tone you little bastard!"M/n stifles his laughter for a moment as he thanks the granny for sharing with them.
"Now that I think of it, you look just like him M/n, here come look at this painting of the wolf lord."Zahra shuffles and the boys follow after her and just as she said...The portrait was worn of course due to age but it was clear as day. The Lord of the sand in the portrait was in his younger years and M/n was an exact copy of him.
"It's like looking at twins, it's almost uncanny...Huh is something missing on that side?"Cyno asked as he pointed at a folded portion of the portrait. Zahra has never noticed this and gently removed the portrait from its frame. When she unfolds it, next to Yamanu is Anubis who looks just like Cyno. Anubis looked uninterested but his body language showed comfortability and laxness next to Yamanu.

M/n could feel Yamanu shaking from within and it too made him shake. Not of anger but of fear, fear that Cyno would take this in a way he shouldn't fear that history would repeat itself...
"They look like great friends."

"Oh, they were...But those good times came to an end when Anubis killed the scarlet king...Their relationship took a sharp nose dive."Cyno lets out an unsatisfied Oh much to Tighnari's surprise, the same man who rarely gets upset even when losing a game of TCG.
"Hey, I'm sure you and M/n will be great friends as time passes."

"I'd truly hope so."

🐺🐺🐺

Later that night Tighnari and Cyno lie in bed to sleep as M/n sat outside for some fresh air.
"I understand why you didn't return here, it held too many memories of the friendship you had with Anubis...Should we run further away?"

"No...I don't think we should. There's no escaping, there is only this samsara and I'm so sorry that I placed this upon you and my other descendants..."

"If it means anything, I forgive you...Fairy of the forest—"

"AAAAUUUGGGGHH!! CUT IT OUT!!!"