39

(Leah and Seth approach.)

"Man, I can smell them from all the way out here." Leah said as she approached the pair of other rogue wolves.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Jacob asked aggressively.

"I'm not gonna let my little brother get himself killed. And if you think for even a second that I'm going to let that thing anywhere near Josie, Rosalie, Hope, or the twins then you are out of your damn mind." Leah said.

"Go away, Leah! I can take care of myself, and the others." Seth said with a pout.

"That you think so proves you need a babysitter. Plus, all five of them, and yourself is difficult for you to protect when all Jacob is going to protect is Bella." Leah told her younger brother.

Seth seemed to deliberate thinking of all the pros and cons, and he couldn't find any faults in her plan. He would need more hands to protect the Swan-Hale family.

"Okay, would the both of you shut up? Did Sam send you?" Jacob asked Leah.

"Sam doesn't even know I left." Leah said with a snort.

(Wolves howling)

"I think he just figured it out." Seth said stating the obvious.

"Jake. I know what his plan is." Leah told him.

(Inside the Cullen house.)

"Sam's lost the element of surprise, and he doesn't want to take you on outnumbered, so he's not gonna come at you head on. He's got the place surrounded and he'll wait for his opportunity." Jacob said.

"We won't get through without a fight." Emmett said.

"No fights. We won't be the ones to break the treaty." Carlisle said.

"They're coming after us Carlisle. They broke the treaty first. I won't sit back and let any one of us get hurt." Caroline said, a scowl on her face.

"The treaty is void, at least in Sam's mind." Jacob told them.

"Not in ours." Esme said agreeing with her mate.

"Carlisle, no one's hunted for weeks." Emmett said.

"We'll make do." Esme said.

"You've done us a great service, Jacob. Thank you." Carlisle said.

(At night, standing outside the Cullen's house.)

"I know they're out there somewhere, but I can't hear them anymore. It's so quiet." Jacob said.

"I stopped hearing them, too, the second I decided to leave. It's nice." Leah said, a small smile on her face. She felt like she belonged here.

"You know you can't stay here." Jacob said.

"But I don't have any place..." Leah trailed off.

"I can't trust you with the Cullens. You hate them too much. You don't even like me." Jacob said.

"I don't have to. I just have to follow you. And I like the Swan-Hale's, that's enough for me to fight for the Cullen's." Leah said.

"Look, Seth doesn't want you here. Neither do I." Jacob said.

"Being unwanted isn't exactly a new thing for me." Leah said. Speaking of the Sam and Emily situation, and the tribe's reaction when she shifted.

(Jacob doesn't reply.)

"Look, I'll stay out of your way. I'll do whatever you want, except go back to Sam's pack and be the pathetic ex-girlfriend he can't get away from. You don't know how many times I wished I could imprint on someone. Anyone. I have a good thing here. I feel calm and like myself around Josie, I don't get it, but I never want to leave her side. So I'll stay even if you try to order me away." Leah said to Jacob, completely serious.