PIZZA - Muke

_______

Short Summary:

Luke is a grumpy, frustrated 21 year old working in a small pizza shop. Michael is a cheerful college student and regular customer. Luke is not looking for friendships. Michael is convinced everyone needs a friend.

_______

When Luke was younger he'd always dream about what his life would be like once he was all grown up.

He'd tell his parents he wanted to be a pilot, or an astronaut or a writer. Either way, he was sure he'd go to college and he was even more sure he'd accomplish anything he wanted to.
He'd had a ratty piggy bank in the shape of a run down and rusty car in which he would put every Penny he could get his hands on. To save for college, he'd tell his friends.

The money he'd saved over the years turned out to be just enough to buy him what it was stored in - just a bit bigger.
His ratty, run down, rusty, old Ford Fiesta was the only thing left of his childish fantasies. Though Luke was pretty sure even that'd be ripped away at the next inspection. His car was leaking oil and missing parts, and the parts that were thankfully still in place were covered in holes and making sounds they most definitely were not supposed to make.

Yes, when Luke was younger he definitely didn't think he'd be working at the shabby old pizza place around the corner at 21.

"Hemmings, c'mon man," Ryan lightly punched his arm, "I'm not paying you to stand around and zone out."

Luke huffed and put all his built up frustration and resentment into splashing a spoon of tomato sauce on the dough in front of him.
Drips of sauce went flying and landed in specks on the counter, tiled walls and Luke's apron.

"Have fun cleaning this up, mate," Ryan clapped him on the back and disappeared back into the storage room.

Luke pouted his way through putting the meat, veggies and cheese on the pizza and then shoved the pizza in the oven before returning to the service area.

"Hi Luke." A guy had appeared at the counter while Luke had been manhandling the food in the kitchen.

Luke sighed inwardly and cursed the name tags sewn to the aprons. In this case, it didn't really matter anyway. Luke was sure the guy would've pried Luke's name out of him one way or another.
Michael was a regular guest. He was in the pizza shop at least three or four times a week. Sometimes he was with friends, playing D&D in the far corner booth, sometimes he was with a pretty pink haired girl Luke suspected was his girlfriend.

Today, he was alone though. He was sitting on one of the bar stools at the counter and had a stack of books and a notepad in front of him. And he was beaming at Luke.

"Michael," Luke said flatly.

Michael appeared to be Luke's age, though they'd never spoken about it due to the lack of interest on Luke's side. Luke didn't really dislike Michael. He just really disliked people in general, and though being a very strange one, Michael happened to be one. Luke wasn't trying to be edgy or anything, he honestly, really hated people and made few exceptions.

Luke hadn't always been like this. He used to have friends and hobbies and dreams and hope for the future. Until his mum had died in his senior year in highschool. His mum had been the backbone of the family and had tied everything together. Now they were falling apart. His brothers were rarely home, his dad drowned himself in work and Luke had ditched the college applications in favor of getting a job. His dad had been disappointed. Luke was an honor student and definitely could've gotten a scholarship at an ivy uni. But Luke's focus had shifted on the day his mum had left. College applications seemed pointless when the most important person in your life was suddenly gone.
And without a scholarship, there was no way for Luke to pay for uni.